Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Really? I think its time to stop being so closed minded when it comes to wheel sizes.

I have one favorite flavor of ice cream. But when I go to get ice cream sometimes I don't get it, I try something else. Its all about choice. I guess you would go to the ice cream shop and tell them they only need one flavor.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
26 is and will always be a top contender for wheel choice,it just does everything well! I am a multi disciplined mtn biker and for the type of terrain I prefer,it is perfect! I do plan to build a 650b for XC only makes sense for hammer down point to point but having ridden a 650b in multiple riding conditions like tech,jumps and drops the 26er still rules!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought my original post in this thread was pretty funny, but alas without a smiley nobody else saw the humor. My Blur LT2 gets fitted with 26" fat, grippy tires during the winter. And if I ever buy a cross country bike or hard tail I'd probably look first at 29ers. But right now I own only one bike that needs to handle everything and I love 650's.

Fred

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Let's look at wheelsize as a fixed ratio of rider height.
At what height does a kid grow out of 24"? that's the upper ratio for 24", and the lower ratio of 26" might be that, or even lower.
And by the time (s)he outgrows 26", being (26.5/24)* top end for 24", and what would the lower ratio offer for a new wheelsize? I bet that whichever way you crunch the numbers, even with a mid ratio, 650B will be skipped as merely a 26"+ :)

Maybe some people don't grow enough to reach the mid range for 29" (which I predict will be a very short height), and then get a 650B to grown old on.
This is all implying XC/commuting style riding, of course.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Let's look at wheelsize as a fixed ratio of rider height.
At what height does a kid grow out of 24"? that's the upper ratio for 24", and the lower ratio of 26" might be that, or even lower.
And by the time (s)he outgrows 26", being (26.5/24)* top end for 24", and what would the lower ratio offer for a new wheelsize? I bet that whichever way you crunch the numbers, even with a mid ratio, 650B will be skipped as merely a 26"+ :)

Maybe some people don't grow enough to reach the mid range for 29" (which I predict will be a very short height), and then get a 650B to grown old on.
This is all implying XC/commuting style riding, of course.
^^^^^ This is exactly why this "joke" is not funny. It brings out all the 29er dictators who will not be happy until the whole world is forced to ride 29ers as they all yell "resistance is futile, you will be assimmilated!"

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
^^^^^ This is exactly why this "joke" is not funny. It brings out all the 29er dictators who will not be happy until the whole world is forced to ride 29ers as they all yell "resistance is futile, you will be assimmilated!
:p:p:p:p

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
height and age relative to wheel size? that's weak. you don't outgrow wheel size...your lack of or diminishing skill does. i suggest 29ers to all my friends who can't bunny hop without being clipped in.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
^^^^^ This is exactly why this "joke" is not funny. It brings out all the 29er dictators who will not be happy until the whole world is forced to ride 29ers as they all yell "resistance is futile, you will be assimmilated!"
Mind over matter, alienation over logic?

Seriously, name any height for a kid to outgrow 24" and logic tells you what's too tall for 650B. Or 29" for that matter. And no, 29"is not the one size for everyone. It's a decade old largest mainstream available. See what population has done since. Who's not taller than their parents nowadays?

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Check out this idiot. He has outgrown his wheelsize and he doesn't even know it! Maybe someone should tell him that your height dictates what wheelsize you need. Especially since he is probably taller than his parents.

·
derp
948 Posts
I wonder if i'll ever be grown up enough for one of these ...

With a front wheel this size, it should float down the rock gardens !

·
Registered
258 Posts
The dark side of the force is growing here......:madmax:

America: freedom of speak, freedom of choice, ............................................

I choose 650b!!! :D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.