Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will you go with a wheel set that is 200 grams lighter if it means it may be slightly less laterally stiff? Say each rim is 80 grams heavier and the rest is in spoke and hubs. Weight weenie versus sensible foundation of stiffness and efficiency.

·
The Cheater
552 Posts
I can sure feel the difference between wheels under 1500gr and 1650gr+. The flex is very noticeable with the lighter wheels on slow steep climbs and I've bought and sold a lot for the sake of experimentation. Straightline acceleration is faster with lighter wheels but the flex on the climbs actually makes it way harder to move forward. Of course you can have a really light hub and rim but stronger thicker spokes.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Your question would be at it's place in xc racing section, as here, from what i understand. The only thing matter is weight... That why no pro bike are here. Efficiency isn't always about lightness.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
I can sure feel the difference between wheels under 1500gr and 1650gr+. The flex is very noticeable with the lighter wheels on slow steep climbs and I've bought and sold a lot for the sake of experimentation. Straightline acceleration is faster with lighter wheels but the flex on the climbs actually makes it way harder to move forward. Of course you can have a really light hub and rim but stronger thicker spokes.
Carbon rims like the Enve XC or even the DT Swiss XRC330 are much stiffer than their aluminium counterpart, so you can have a 1300-1350gm wheel that is stiffer than a 1500-1600gm wheel without the noodles. Then if you spend the big bucks on DT 190 hubs, then stiff 1250gm wheels are possible.

My carbon wheel sets are as stiff or stiffer than the XTR 975 wheels with their "guitar string" spoke tension and scandium rims, and both sets of carbon wheels use DT Aerolite spokes. And I'm just under 200 pounds so if they're going to be wiggly, it will under a ride of my weight.

When I talk to other riders about light alloy rims like the Stans, and they comment on flexy wheels and they're 150 pounds, that pretty much convinced me that if I wanted light, then carbon rims were the only choice.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good point. I will x-post in the endurance racing section or xc racing.

Your question would be at it's place in xc racing section, as here, from what i understand. The only thing matter is weight... That why no pro bike are here. Efficiency isn't always about lightness.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.