Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about upgrading to a new Pike from my Revelation for the added stiffness, but some of the guys at my bike shop said that the effective stiffness would be about the same because of the 20mm through axle I currently am running with the Revelation. That surprised me; I assumed that even with the smaller through-axle, the Pike would be appreciably stiffer due to the 35mm stanchions and the stiffer crown.
What do you guys think? Is it a waste of money to upgrade just for the stiffness?

I know the travel quality of the Pike is top-notch, but I am reluctant to upgrade just based on that since my Pushed Revelation feels so perfect as is in terms of travel quality and plushness. Thanks for any insights.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I think it depends on your riding and weight. It may make a difference, but for me the suspension platform is a different ride. I had the Revelation on a SC Blur LT2 and it was a really good fork. Now I have a Pike on an Intense Carbine and haven't got it dialed yet.

The Pike feels much more like a big hit fork and can definitely take more abuse. Less chance of bottoming out but so far has felt a bit too firm and not as plush as my Revelation. It has only been a few rides on the Pike, so it is possible I just haven't found the right settings. I only weigh 150 pounds but not gentle on my suspension.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you read around you'll hear that there is very little discernible difference between a 20 and 15mm thru. The pike is undoubtedly a stiffer fork.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Fore-aft stiffness on the a 35mm fork will be much better than a 32mm fork, regardless of axle size.

Torsional stiffness will be better with a 20mm axle than with a 15mm axle. Though the larger diameter lower legs and better designed arch on the pike would make the difference between the two very small, only being noticed if you are a heavier rider would rides rocky terrain at high speeds and rails berms.

Overall, the Pike will feel stiffer if that is what you are looking for. IMO, you dont spend the money on a Pike (and converting to 15mm axle) to gain stiffness, you do it for the better damping characteristics(which would be much better than a Revelation which uses a very simple compression damper).

·
Registered
7,221 Posts
My Pike feels as stiff laterally as my Lyrik but I'm a lightweight. But even if the 15mm Pike = 20mm Revelation in the stiffness category, the factory damping of the Pike blows away my Lyrik, Revelation and Totem (all of which I've customized).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts