Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm becoming more interested in the 2006 Coiler and was wondering how stiff the rear end is? Can anyone give me an idea, some comparisons?

I'm currently riding a mini VP Free as my do everything bike. It is incredibly stiff so I'm wondering if I would notice a difference.

Thanks

·
Happy Coiler Owner
160 Posts
um i find my coiler very stiff, and so does my brother, both using and abusing the bikes as our closest thing to freeride bikes for the moment

another thing to consider, i work in a bike shop where we had a coiler ran over, ok parts had to be changed but the frame was pretty in tact

·
Registered
412 Posts
The Coiler is the stiffest frame of any of my bikes, though a slight weight penalty is paid for it. I've heard that some VPP bikes tend to have a bit of rear-end flex... this may not be the case for the VP-Free but certainly is true for my 5.5. Heck, even my SX Trail doesn't seem quite as stiff as the Coiler (also chain stays are a bit weaker). If you are under 250 lbs. you should be fine. :D

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the replys guys. That's just what I was hoping to hear. I really love my VP Free, it's almost too good for the bulk of my riding. The suspension just absorbs everything, and it pedals better than my five inch bike. I guess I want something that will still have the same basic feel and handling characteristics but allow me to feel a little more of the trail. I don't think I'll save much in the way of weight because I vp free is right at 36 lbs. Idealling I'd like to keep my vp free and have two bikes but I can't afford it. By the way, the five inch bike is being riden by my wife so I can't really get ride of it. Or can I????:rolleyes:

·
Registered
187 Posts
well i can only give u one comparison, but i just tested out a 2006 Coiler the other day...right now I have an 05 Dawg with Fox Float and its very soft IMO, the coiler was much more solid feeling, or felt less like it was gonna break or bottom out...Id say that it was pretty stiff tho compared to the Dawg and compared to some others that Ive riden...I liked it alot...I plan on picking it up for $1300, but gotta unload my Dawg first

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Not suspension stiff, but laterally/torsionally stiff. As in, no frame flex/deflection. You can pump up your rear shock with a shock pump if you want the suspension to be less plush.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.