Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of Crossmax Enduros '07 connected to Fox Talas '08 and Yeti 575. They are standard QR skewer now and I was wondering if my can make my ride stiffer by using some other QR brand? I've also tried to google if there is any other connection I can use besides a QR without having to change the hub. Is there one?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Heard good things about the DT Swiss ratcheting skewers. Pricey, but not as much as changing hubs and wheels around. For what it's worth, I'm running a Hope bolt on rear hub and 15mm QR front and noticed a considerable difference over the stock QR Mavic Crossrides that came on it, but I'm also about 240lbs geared up.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Most steel QR skewers are similar in strength. There is a small increase in stiffness if you go for a bolt up skewer, as there is more force you can put into tightening them.
I would say you are better saving up for a set of wheels with Hope Pro II's (better quality hub, lighter build) but also with the possibility if 9/10mm thru bolt skewers. Its the best all-round stiffness upgrade you'll get without expensive fork upgrading (and it is for both ends) - plus you still have a set of wheels you can use on any QR bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
KrisRayner said:
Heard good things about the DT Swiss ratcheting skewers. Pricey, but not as much as changing hubs and wheels around. For what it's worth, I'm running a Hope bolt on rear hub and 15mm QR front and noticed a considerable difference over the stock QR Mavic Crossrides that came on it, but I'm also about 240lbs geared up.
Thanks. I did see DT RWS mentioned on the web, but couldnt get an answer if I need to change hubs to fit this system or do they fit on standard hubs. I also see the Hadleys mentioned in the same breath as DT RWS, but once again could not see any mention if they fit on standard hubs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks AlexRandall ... what a bummer that there is no magic bolt/system for standard hubs to make them comparable to 9/10 thru bolt skewer out there.

But it makes plenty sense what you say about getting better wheels. But for some reason my CrossmaxEnduros have stayed fairly true/maintenance free for 2 years, the only thing i did was manually tighten all the spokes before 1st install, and minor adjustments every few months. Guess its time to put them on my commuter and get new wheels for a stiffer ride.

What would you match the Hope Pro 2 with for trail riding? no need to take anything more than 5ft drops with a 190lb rider.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Mine is outfitted with Hope Pro 2 hubs (get the with any setup you want, QR, bolt on, through axle, 15mm QR, 20mm) with Mavic 819 Tubeless rims (not the lightest, but a very solid reliable rim). I bought mine through Chain Reaction Cycles. Not sure what the exchange rate is now, but they had THE best deal going for custom hand-built wheels

If you don't see the color combo you want, just wait a week or two and they usually come back in stock. Quality wheel build, good price, and free shipping.https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Kits.aspx?ModelID=7599

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.