Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I put this in the 29er forum as we seem to have a good bit of issues w/fork flex..and 29ers really are better dispite this.

The new maxle system seems to address the weak aspect of the small axle along with a quick release by providing a more rigid interface. However, has anyone ever thought about creating a nut that covers the axle surface and then the fork would then rest on what is effectively a larger axle? The end cap would have shoulders on it to interface with the lateral part of the fork tip and a hex key insertion point on the end for tightening. This may require very slight opening of the fork tip by using a file but very little. The end result would be a nutted hub for those hubs that use exposed thread axles like Shimano.

I have never added a file before so maybe this will work the 1st time. It is a stupid little drawing I made using word. It is totally out of scale.

Just thinking. Maybe stupid

Attachments

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dRjOn said:
What is the part number of the item that does what I am proposing? I see a few things but I am not sure which one works with the plain jane shimano XT axle. I Should also be clear that it's not about converting to through axle but rather, stiffening the combo of a Shimano hub with a REBA fork which is so common.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Crockpot2001 said:
What is the part number of the item that does what I am proposing? I see a few things but I am not sure which one works with the plain jane shimano XT axle. I Should also be clear that it's not about converting to through axle but rather, stiffening the combo of a Shimano hub with a REBA fork which is so common.

Cheers
The axle described only works with DT and Hadley hubs.

The system you propose looks like it would change the front hub spacing, if I am reading your diagram correctly. Is that the case?

·
Rohloff
1,600 Posts
Crockpot2001 said:

Cheers
I think he's talking about this: http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Components/RWS.aspx

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TLL said:
The axle described only works with DT and Hadley hubs.

The system you propose looks like it would change the front hub spacing, if I am reading your diagram correctly. Is that the case?
I don't think spacing would change. It is simply doing away with the QR and replacing with a threaded sleave, if you will, that threads over the axle. Imagine a hollow bolt that threaded down on the axle. What would change is the dia. of the axle as something would be threaded over it.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
momentum... said:
As people have said, a simple option is to replace the QR axle with a longer, solid, threaded axle and then using track nuts to bolt it on.
I think this may be the case. I wanted a system that did not require more than hex keys for removal, and would allow for easy swap of wheels. I think that I may rustle up a new axle and some track nuts in the short term.

Cheers,
Crockpot

·
Registered
60 Posts
Crockpot2001 said:
I think this may be the case. I wanted a system that did not require more than hex keys for removal, and would allow for easy swap of wheels. I think that I may rustle up a new axle and some track nuts in the short term.

Cheers,
Crockpot
Some bolt on SS and fixed hubs use allen bolts, rather than track nuts. The axles are likely to be hub specific though so it might be harder to convert. Any loose ball bearing front hub is easy to convert to bolt on

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.