Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am currently thinking about getting a new wheelset for my Yeti SB95c, I've been running a set of Mavic Crossmax ST's for a while and although the rims have been faultless I am sick of seemingly constantly having to tighten the rear hub and the back wheel wobble as a result of this.

Do any of you guys have any suggestions of alternative wheels please?

My initial thoughts include Hope Hoops using Flow rims or Hopes new Enduro Tech rims, Bontrager Rhythm Pro or possibly Race Face Turbines.

Any suggestions would be appreciate please but I'd prefer a wheelset that parts can be obtained easily for.

Thanks guys. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,782 Posts
1) Easton Haven
2) Stans FlowEX
3) DT EX1250

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Stiff, Strong, and Reliable means standard hubs, spokes, and rims so any need repairs are simple and easy.

Hope Pro 2 hubs are an excellent base. DT, Sapim, or Wheelsmith double butted spokes are all top quality. I would look at the Pacenti TL28, Velocity Blunt 28, or WTB KOM rims as they play nicer with tubeless ready tires than the FlowEX or ArchEX rims.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Stiff, Strong, and Reliable means standard hubs, spokes, and rims so any need repairs are simple and easy.

Hope Pro 2 hubs are an excellent base. DT, Sapim, or Wheelsmith double butted spokes are all top quality. I would look at the Pacenti TL28, Velocity Blunt 28, or WTB KOM rims as they play nicer with tubeless ready tires than the FlowEX or ArchEX rims.
I agree with all the above except the KOM's. I'd stick with Frequency i23 or i25 rims as they'll be stiffer and more reliable than the weight weenie KOMs.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Just had a new wheelset built. i25's, Hopes, DT Alpine III triple butted spokes.
Rock solid. non-proprietary.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I,m using a e13 wheelset and are a great wheelset for hard riding... now let,s see how reliable are they...

uploadfromtaptalk1394470256260.jpg

eeeeeooooo

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The e13's look fantastic and I hear they're about as stiff as they come but it's that leap of faith into the unknown that bothers me. I think I'm favouring Hope hubs at the moment but unsure on the rims.

Thanks for your opinions guys, keep em coming. 😊

·
Registered
82 Posts
3 sets of Hopes on WTB Frequency i23's here. I wouldn't have them built any other way. No issues to speak of, and all parts are easy to come by.

·
1,711 Posts
3 sets of Hopes on WTB Frequency i23's here. I wouldn't have them built any other way. No issues to speak of, and all parts are easy to come by.
I third the WTB "i" series. I had the i23's built up when they first came out and they were solid. I just had a wheelset built with Hopes and the WTB i25s. Nice and wide... tubeless is a breeze with these. Nice thing about the Hope hubs is they have stayed the same in price, and even slightly cheaper in places... but now with the 40t engagement.

I just posted pictures in this other recent thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-components/help-me-spend-$-i-need-new-wheels-902785.html#post11056090

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
I would vote for:

Light Bicycle Carbon AM 29er rims
Hope Pro2 Evo hubs
DT Swiss double butted spokes with brass nipples.

That should last you a long time, come in around 1700-ish grams for the pair, and most of that weight is in the hub. The rims come in under 400g each, 60g lighter than any regular XC kinda rim. Nice, stiff wide, light rims, trail beating tough, and be easy to service/get replacement parts for, etc.

If you have budget, DT Swiss 240s or Chris King hubs will drop a bit of weight off of that.

I've been pretty much running this setup with DT Swiss Hugi rear hub (36pt star ratchet upgrade) and a Lefty hub for the last year and a half. I've never had to touch them. Straight as... well straight.

For alloy rims, I've been buying Sun Inferno 23s for a while. Cheap, welded seams, stiff, 460g.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I agree with all the above except the KOM's. I'd stick with Frequency i23 or i25 rims as they'll be stiffer and more reliable than the weight weenie KOMs.
The KOM is in the same class as the Pacenti TL28 weight and size wise. I've read several reviews that despite their light weight the TL28 is plenty durable and stiff so I was using the same logic with the KOM as it too is designed for hard riding.

Certainly the i23 and i25 along with the DL31 from Pacenti would be a stiffer and more durable rim as there is more material there.

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
I third the WTB "i" series. I had the i23's built up when they first came out and they were solid. I just had a wheelset built with Hopes and the WTB i25s. Nice and wide... tubeless is a breeze with these. Nice thing about the Hope hubs is they have stayed the same in price, and even slightly cheaper in places... but now with the 40t engagement.

I just posted pictures in this other recent thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-components/help-me-spend-$-i-need-new-wheels-902785.html#post11056090
Nice looking wheel set.:thumbsup:

·
Ride Everything
2,913 Posts
Hi

I am currently thinking about getting a new wheelset for my Yeti SB95c, I've been running a set of Mavic Crossmax ST's for a while and although the rims have been faultless I am sick of seemingly constantly having to tighten the rear hub and the back wheel wobble as a result of this.

Do any of you guys have any suggestions of alternative wheels please?

My initial thoughts include Hope Hoops using Flow rims or Hopes new Enduro Tech rims, Bontrager Rhythm Pro or possibly Race Face Turbines.

Any suggestions would be appreciate please but I'd prefer a wheelset that parts can be obtained easily for.

Thanks guys. :)
Are you having problems with the Crossmax rear hub's bearings coming loose? If so, remove the end cap and bearing cover, and apply some threadlocker or teflon tape to the threads.

·
This place needs an enema
15,860 Posts
I would look at the Pacenti TL28, Velocity Blunt 28, or WTB KOM rims as they play nicer with tubeless ready tires than the FlowEX or ArchEX rims.
Please qualify this statement?

My experience is the opposite. Pacenti's fit most tires loosely and require fiddling/shenanigans to get them set tubeless. WTB's work great, but only with UST tires. Stans tires have the most consistent fit with the largest quantity of tires currently available.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Are you having problems with the Crossmax rear hub's bearings coming loose? If so, remove the end cap and bearing cover, and apply some threadlocker or teflon tape to the threads.
Thank you, I shall give that a go as overall I have been more than impressed by the Crossmax ST's aside from this issue...

·
Ride Everything
2,913 Posts
Thank you, I shall give that a go as overall I have been more than impressed by the Crossmax ST's aside from this issue...
I rode a set of Crossmax SLRs for several months, and noticed that the hubs would occasionally become loose. Mavic recommended the teflon tape/threadlock, and that fixed the problem in short order.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Please qualify this statement?

My experience is the opposite. Pacenti's fit most tires loosely and require fiddling/shenanigans to get them set tubeless. WTB's work great, but only with UST tires. Stans tires have the most consistent fit with the largest quantity of tires currently available.
Pacenti and Pacenti designed rims have worked perfectly fine with Tubeless Ready tires IME. I am currently running P35's with Geax TNT tires. The fit was snug but able to install them tool free and they were easy to seat with a floor pump. My TCS wheels have had zero issues working with tubeless ready tires (not just UST) and again every single one aired up and seated with a floor pump. I have also aired up and seated with a floor pump a set of Continental Race King (non-Protection) tires on WTB TCS wheels.

Stans rims are designed to convert non-tubeless tires to tubeless, so using that as your basis of quantity of available tires then yes, they have the largest available. I've owned a set of Charger wheels and a set of Flows that I built up. Some tires mounted up great on them, some did not. Anytime you talk about running non-tubeless tires as tubeless then there will always be variables.

I'll take Quality (tubeless ready tires on rims designed to run them) over Stan's "Quantity" of non-tubeless tires and it is what I recommend to anyone who asks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts