Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Ride Instigator
3,220 Posts
At first thought it sounds like you have your headset cranked down too tight. As the poster above says though...need more details.

What fork and headset are you using?

Did you pull the crown race off your old fork and install it on the new fork? Properly?

Have you done work like this before and do you have any clue wtf you're doing;) ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im new to mtb maintenance yeah, what is the crown race. the new forks came with cane creek headset but it wasnt sealed, im pretty sure the headset and bearings on there are sealed so i used them, do i need to switch them out?

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
bpatterson63 said:
im new to mtb maintenance yeah, what is the crown race. the new forks came with cane creek headset but it wasnt sealed, im pretty sure the headset and bearings on there are sealed so i used them, do i need to switch them out?
oh dear...
take it to the shop

·
Single Speed Junkie
3,116 Posts
bpatterson63 said:
Does the new fork even have the crown race installed? Pictures would be helpful here.

With the direction your going I would take it to a shop with all the parts new and old.

·
Registered
702 Posts
stiff

If you got a new fork and headset...did you by chance have parts left over?
This installation requires a bit of work.
Like removing the old headset cups,the things that are pressed into the head tube.
Removing the old crown race at the bottom of the steerer tube.
Pressing the new crown race on.Without the proper tools,a little tricky.
If you had done all this I think you would know/remember.
Even if if all this is done,you could put a bearing in upside down or swap the upper for the lower.
At the end of the day,unlikely you harmed the fork,but you might need a new headset.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i didnt switch out the crown race and i guess the forks were sitting in the headset wrong, but i looked at some assembly videos online and got it all put back together right thanks for the advice

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
bpatterson63 said:
i didnt switch out the crown race and i guess the forks were sitting in the headset wrong, but i looked at some assembly videos online and got it all put back together right thanks for the advice
Sure you got it right ? Hate for you to damage it so badly you have to scrap it .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.