Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
curiosity said:
My KMC chain has become a kinked mass of stiff links...does anyone have an idea of why it may have happened, is it common with single speeds?
Not trying to be an @$$ but has it been outside rusting or out of use for a while (mine is stiff on my "extra" singlespeed...she hasn't been rode since Feb.) or something (Need more info please)?? :confused:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
curiosity said:
no the bikes kept indoors and is used regularly. the chains pretty new, after the first few weeks of riding i noticed it had developed loads of stiff links. It's a 1/8th chain.
Sorry, I got nothing. I'd maybe take it back to where it came from and see if they have any ideas? Good luck either way man.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
oil??? not trying to be an @ss but; you ever use any?

stiff links are easily cured by just flexing the chain side to side but none of my chains ever developed a stiff link other than where i re-connected them with a chain tool. that sounds really wierd!

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Remove the chain and soak it in degreaser, then dry. When dry, soak it in the chain lube of your choice. Work the lube into all the joints. Gently bend the chain side to side if it has any tight links.

Wipe off the excess lube.

Re-fit. Ride.

R.

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
3,854 Posts
same problem with my PC58

but I ride in mud, I'm heavy, I don't clean the chain as much as I should which for the most part should be almost every ride.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.