Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have a relatively new bike (2 months, 250 miles or so) with BB7 mechanical brakes and Speed Dial levers. I went on a really tough ride Saturday through pouring rain, grit, mud, the works. Sunday I noticed that now my brakes are extremely sticky at the levers. They don't operate smoothly anymore. I gave the bike an extremely thorough cleaning and nothing is apparent that might be causing it within the calipers or levers.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a chance that I should rebuild my calipers? Can water/grime/grit get in there? I wonder if my cables are waterlogged...although seems like my shifters would suffer as well.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Probably cable gunk

I doubt it's the calipers. I would suspect that you have gunk somewhere within the brake lines. Why it didn't effect your shifters is a mystery, but it wouldn't hurt to remove the brake cables from their housing and see if there's not some sort of buildup in there that's causing the stickiness. If there is, clean them up and put everything back together and see if that solves the problem.

Bob

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
It's probably your cables/housing as mentioned. Get some good quality housing and either stainless or teflon coated lines. Use a lube like Rock & Roll cable lube on the inside. Run full-length housing to prevent gunk from getting in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.