Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else experiencing a sticky XT rear derailleur? I have a relatively new 1x12 and at about 250 miles or so, it just stuck down one day and never came back. I can't ride with the clutch on at all. Even with the clutch off, I have to dismount & shake it out of it to get a few more miles in. Then at some point it goes slack and my chain flops all over the place.

Anyone else had these issues? Know of an easy fix? It's still under warranty, but the weather has been really nice lately and I don't want to send it back to Shimano unless I have to - no telling how long I'll have to go without.

Maybe this is user error? Never owned one with a clutch before.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Couple of things:

1) remove the clutch cover (2mm hex?), and wiggle the clutch band/clutch off the cage. Note the orientation, it's important.

2) check for proper operation of derailleur.

If (1) fixes the problem, the issue is either the adjustment/lubrication of the clutch. First check that there is no rust on the clutch race (part attached to the derailleur), nor the rollers inside the clutch mechanism (if there is: clean it off the derailleur, and get Shimano to send a new clutch unit as warranty. It can be ridden without it). There is a small screw that presses on the clutch band, which small turns in/out will increase/decrease breakaway force, but first, you must use some of the new Shadow+ grease that Shimano has formulated to lubricate the OUTSIDE of the clutch drum, between it/the band. None on the rollers, please! You can use Nexus grease, as well, if you can't get the others, but normal bike greases will be too thick for proper operation of the unit. Set the aforementioned screw so that with the clutch engaged (it can be turned on with the cover off), some force is required to move the cage, whilst with it off, it moves more-or-less freely.

There could be other issues at play, but the above is most likely.

By the way, the shop that you bought the bike from can initiate a claim/have a part sent without sending the broken part back first. Technically, any shop might do so, but you shouldn't expect them to do it for nothing.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had the same issue with my XTR 12 speed reach mech. I serviced it exactly as the video below described, using the specific grease shown. Works really well, mine does need to be done periodically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ztf38cO2Ej4
Same issue for me on my XT 12 sp after about a month of riding. I performed the same service as the video using the same grease and haven’t seen the issue since.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I sure appreciate the comments all. Think I'll take a little time to go down that road as opposed to giving up my bike for a few weeks.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Early XT 12 spds have issue with the clutch. I have that problem with mine, never got around to replacing. I cleaned out and relubed, but its got corrosion so doesn't work that great. I'll prob someday order the parts. I should have had it warrantied when it first happened, but its like over a year now.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Early XT 12 spds have issue with the clutch. I have that problem with mine, never got around to replacing. I cleaned out and relubed, but its got corrosion so doesn't work that great. I'll prob someday order the parts. I should have had it warrantied when it first happened, but its like over a year now.
2 year warranty on hard goods from Shimano, 3 years for XTR/DA, 1 year for everything else. Call them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took me a little while to get around to it, but I figured I'd dive on in before sending it to Shimano. Maybe it won't be too bad.

Boy howdy was I wrong. It was worse than expected. This doesn't appear to be dirt. It looks like entirely corrosion and looks a little like it has eaten significantly into the steel band. Maybe these parts were assembled dry? I didn't see any grease anywhere. I may never know as I'm going to assume it's significantly compromised.

I'm not even going to touch it. I just put the cover back on. If this weren't under warranty, I'd take a stab at it, but I think I'm gonna let Shimano handle this one. Interested to see if they just replace it, replace parts or clean it up.

·
Super Moderator
4,306 Posts
We had a derailleur looking like that in our shop on a three month old bike, warrantied it with Shimano.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unfortunately it looks like my derailleur has been lost. I'm not sure how, but I dropped it at REI, on Shimano's advice about 2.5 weeks ago, and now nobody knows where it is. Shimano doesn't have it, REI doesn't have it, there is no tracking info, and nobody knows anything. Awesome. And best case scenario, Shimano will have parts by the end of February. I'm looking at probably a minimum of 6 weeks before it gets back to me - if it's found.

I'm just going to buy another derailleur because I'm sick of losing riding time. If I can find one. And since I'm not crazy about the way the SLX shifter shifts and kinda wanna replace it anyway, I think I maybe wanna try a Sram or maybe even Box. What I don't know is if these are going to be interchangeable with my Shimano crank and cassette and chain. Anybody able to shine some light on that? IIRC they're interchangeable (at least Sram), but maybe someone with a little more knowledge will chime in and hit the brakes for me if I'm way off base. Or am I better off just putting another Shimano on? TIA!

·
Registered
586 Posts
From what I have found on different websites so far, is that the problem is the seal on the new 12 speed derailleurs.
It does a very poor job of preventing moisture and dirt to go insinde the clutch.

Instead of the recommended Shimano grease, I use Rockshox PM600 military grease directly on the clutch band and the cover seal, because PM600 is very high water and temarature resistance.

It works flaswless so far. ( M6100 mech for 6 weeks and 800km )
When I take a look inside my clutch I can see zero dirt, rust, or water inside.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Anybody else experiencing a sticky XT rear derailleur? I have a relatively new 1x12 and at about 250 miles or so, it just stuck down one day and never came back. I can't ride with the clutch on at all. Even with the clutch off, I have to dismount & shake it out of it to get a few more miles in. Then at some point it goes slack and my chain flops all over the place.

Anyone else had these issues? Know of an easy fix? It's still under warranty, but the weather has been really nice lately and I don't want to send it back to Shimano unless I have to - no telling how long I'll have to go without.

Maybe this is user error? Never owned one with a clutch before.
Check this out, the Shimano clutch is known to need service. And often sometimes. You have a test at the start for normal operation as well

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From what I have found on different websites so far, is that the problem is the seal on the new 12 speed derailleurs.
It does a very poor job of preventing moisture and dirt to go insinde the clutch.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking by the looks of that picture above. Looks like there was ingress at the bottom of the clutch at the seal. It's dirty where the rest of the rubber is clean.

·
always licking the glass
2,377 Posts
Following. Mine started getting a click, and it's starting to feel like it's seizing. Off to the shop it goes. They said servicing it fixes it, and one of the guys said his was so dry the rear derailleur seized. here's hoping that fixes it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Apparently the one I sent back was pretty bad. It was seized by the time I took it off. They just shipped a new unit as opposed to fixing mine. Shimano was out of parts when I talked to them, so it took close to a month to get it back. Not sure if this time will improve, but it may be prudent to just try & clean what you have if you don't wanna be without it for a while.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts