Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used a XT rear hub,an LX rear hub and a Parallax hub with sticky cassettes. These stick when I freewheel or coast or pedal backwards.I was able to fix one with a shot of WB40 after removing the HG cassette but that may not last. Is this common with Shimano hubs and can these be fixed?

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,758 Posts
Pretty Common In My Experience

Although I haven't used many Shimano hubs or freehubs.

LX, DX, XT, XTR, DA, Ultegra...had it happen with all of them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
This is normal for shimano freehubs. They can be overhauled, there are 50 1/8" bearings inside plus the 2 pawls. WD-40 is a quick fix, and is fine to flush the freehub body but a light oil is better.

·
Registered
106 Posts
moonter said:
I'm aware of these but have never used one.
http://harriscyclery.net/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=559

HTH
Injecting grease into your free hub body is not a good idea since it is far to high a viscosity. I would flush with oil, an automotive synthetic like a 0w - whatever would be good. grease will prevent the pawls from swinging out and engaging the ramps on the inside of the freehub body. The only time i use grease in a freehub or freewheel is when i am overhauling them. I will use grease to help stick the multitude of 1/8" bearings to the freehub carrier and hold them in position.

When adding oil to the freehub body I will go with something as thin as triflow if the rider is a trials rider or thicker if the rider is riding year round and exposing the freehub to alot of moisture,since a thicker oil will be less likely to be washed away or displaced by water.

Try this link, it has a picture of the tool required to overhaul a freehub
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#bodyservice

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.