Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

121 - 140 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Well you can still ride Pastore Point.
LOL

After the Riverwood rebuild everyone is now *****ing about Pastore Point. Would not be surprised if they did some work there next year. Fun tech when dry but can be hairy at speed in the wet.

Lots of thunder storms today here. Wife is nagging(not really) me to work on her ride.

·
well mannered lout
2,778 Posts
LOL

... but can be hairy at speed in the wet.
But nothing wrong with that. I just want them to leave Pound Cake/ Fence Line and the pond loops just like they are. Never any crowds out at Pastore Point.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Oh Pastore. I remember two years back on our annual pilgrimage taking this young buck (18yr old, though I was 25 so) out there. He complained all hell about the roots. My buddy (his cousin) and I laughed at him. Mostly because we all love poking fun at each other (he is a phenomenal rider).

But, it seriously brought to light how my buddy and I are a dying breed in some respects, especially for kids our age. We love pedaling uphill, especially after a full night of drinking. The more root chatter and slow line picking rocks there are the better.

This kid would rather shuttle Kitchell all day long versus us who get some sick enjoyment out of riding up the mountain to tackle Moose Alley, on singlespeeds, while yelling at Canadians to get out of our way, while riding on our green mountain high.

Anyway that you pointed out Pastore made me chuckle and remember this. And also makes me believe they would happily go buff it out for those masses.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Curious, Why would anyone make the journey to KT, pay $15, to ride a root infested trail when maybe 95% plus of all trails in New England either have plenty of roots or ultimately end up that way from use. I don't think KT would be the widely popular commercial engine if it was all roots.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Well first I paid $75 and rarely made it up for the 5 times to make it work out. Same reason I joined VMBA and am still a member of NEMBA even though I live in NC now. Its where I want my money to go.

But no, really, I get your point. When I started out riding that is exactly why we took an annual pilgrimage to KT. Growing up on old classic New England hiking trails; KT was this wonderland, Disneyworld of riding. I used the word flow to describe this before I ever knew flow was a word to describe trails.

I was merely poking fun. Stoking the old "flow vs. tech" debate we have too much on these forums haha.

But seriously, I hope they keep the roots on Pastore.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I've been riding for nearly 30 years. I enjoy both tech and flow but much more into flow as I get older. At KT you can get plenty of either.

BTW, new trail construction happening on the new land that KT bought. I was riding up Hogback today and noticed a new single track trail crossing near the top. I spoke with Tim and he says "Piggyback" should be done in the next week or two. Will be similar feel to Bear Back.

·
well mannered lout
2,778 Posts
We are up and running at Foggy Goggle Osteria. Make sure to pop the kitchen door and say hi.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I rode Bearback and Piggyback for the first time yesterday. Fun trails. I doubt I'l ride Sidewinder that much anymore these are both better IMHO. I wasn't sure if it's OK to war a helmet on Bearback or not.

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
Hi. I'm heading up this weekend and would like to know what the DH is like up there. I can tech ride with the best of them but generally like to keep my tires on the ground. Are there trails that would be a good fit? If so, what trails should I look into?

·
well mannered lout
2,778 Posts
Hi. I'm heading up this weekend and would like to know what the DH is like up there. I can tech ride with the best of them but generally like to keep my tires on the ground. Are there trails that would be a good fit? If so, what trails should I look into?

Lifts closed on Monday. Upper J-bar is the trail you're looking for if you can catch a shuttle. There should be snow up top tomorrow...plenty tech!

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
Lifts closed on Monday. Upper J-bar is the trail you're looking for if you can catch a shuttle. There should be snow up top tomorrow...plenty tech!
J-bar was great, thanks. No shuttles, had to pedal up to ride down. Burke Mt. was like ghost town. Only person I saw was a photographer. -There was snow on top and bottom.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I seriously wanna ride these trails~

Unfortunately, most of my friends are not up for the long 11 hour drive from VA to VT.

I'd go alone but driving for so long to and from sounds like too much. It'd be better with a partner or a group to share the time and also to chip in for gas and driving duties.

·
Registered
41 Posts
bike choice light canfield epo hardtail or santa cruz nomad . if you had to pick for kingdomtrails i can only bring one. any suggestions ?

·
beer thief
4,913 Posts
The two sides of KT are vastly different so if you plan to ride the mountain side off the summit, the Nomad would be the first choice. Darling Hill side is smoother, SS friendly and the Canfield would be a reasonable choice.

Faced with the choice of one bike, the Nomad would win in my book.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The two sides of KT are vastly different so if you plan to ride the mountain side off the summit, the Nomad would be the first choice. Darling Hill side is smoother, SS friendly and the Canfield would be a reasonable choice.

Faced with the choice of one bike, the Nomad would win in my book.
I've always said it's overkill in most situations but works everywhere .

121 - 140 of 163 Posts