Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Kingdom Trails Information please read before asking questions

This is an informational threat designed to answer questions about the Kingdom trails. Add information as needed, Please stick to facts and leave opinions out of it.

To start visit www.kingdomtrails.com , watch the ride guide video and summer preview, click the tabs lots of useful information. Including trail status , places to stay/camp, eat, bike shops rentals, and more.

Trails- About 100miles on almost all private land. The majority of the trails are smooth fast xc riding, with some downhill/freeride on the mountain side (this area is expanding and weekend lift service began last year).
The network is divided into two areas Darling hill and Burke Mountain.
Darling hill, is home to the majority of the trails. This area is fast smooth xc riding accessed right form town.
The Burke mountain side trails are a mix of xc, all mountain, and downhill riding. These trails can be accessed by riding up the mountain access road from town, the i-ride shuttle brings you to the top of the downhill trails on most weekends, or by parking at the Burke mountain ski resort and riding to one of many trail heads.
The Burke Mountain Campground is also located in this area
The Burke Mountain Trails tend to hold more moisture than Darling hill. This area opens later in the season and sees more trail closures

Maps and passes- trail passes are $15/ day and can be bought at the Kingdom trails office in East Burke. They will also give you maps. The maps are great, tell them what you are looking to ride and they will highlight a route for you. All trails are clearly marked and on the map.

When to visit- The Darling hill trails should be open in early/mid May. (it is very wet this year may be later) The mountainside will open later. The trails stay open until mid/late October. This is northern Vermont so ,”when should I come” varies from year to year. In general you should be good from late May-mid September. Check the weather, Kingdomtrails.com has weekly video, weather, and trail status updates. You can also check them on Facebook

What to ride- start by asking when you buy your pass. “not to miss trails” in no order: Kitchel, Tody’s tour, Webbs, old Webbs, Sidewinder, Jaw(new bridgework), tap n die, Burnham Down, Knightslayer…….

Weather- eye on the sky weather and www.weatheringheights.com have reliable local forecasts.

Camping- No you can not pitch a tent in the woods/ down a dirt road. This is private land please respect the land owners.
Burke mountain campground- biker friendly, on the trail network, tent and lean-to sites. Make a reservation fills up on weekends
Brighton State Park on Island Pond – On the water, nice clean State Park just 12 miles north of Kingdom Trails – tent sites, lean-tos & Cabins- Cabins are nice
White caps- 8 miles north on Lake Willoughby, rv and tent sites and lake access for swimming. nice
camping and cabin rental info: www.burkevermont.com/lodging/default.shtml
Hotels and Inns- see kingdom trails website for more choices
Wildeflower Inn – higher end family friendly, direct trails access starting at $200/night
Inn at Mountain View farm- start at $155/night
Lyndon/burke motel- basic motor inn starting at $85

Dogs: No dogs on Weekends, not really recommended during the week. Please do not leave your dog in the car. See dog policy on webpage

Bike shops/ Rentals: East Burke Sports (across the street from King trails office) Will make minor on the spot repairs, stocks parts and biking basics. Also, rents Trek and Santa Cruz. Reserving a bike is recommended

Food- Baily’s and Burke country store with sandwiches, homemade munchies, snacks, drinks, and trail grub just reopened (not sure it is still the same name)
Pub outback- post ride bar food and local beers on tap
Willy’s- does bbq on some weekends great deal outside seating, dinner more $$ but great food and service.
River Garden Café- great Sunday brunch, sit down dinner
Junipers at the Wild Flower Inn- higher end bar food, good brew selection
Grocery store in Lyndon less than 5 miles away

·
Registered
171 Posts
Just a heads up.....the Apartment at the East Burke Village Inn is no longer available. They turned it into part of the restaurant.

Kind of a bummer....that's been my go to place at KT for a long time. But I can understand why they did it, the restaurant is very good and now they should have double the seating...at least!!

Anyone know of a condo / house / townhouse available up there that would sleep 8 or so?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
While not exactly camping, this place is just opening up and is super sweet. more bike hostel style, but very cool and literally right on the White School single track. burkebikebarn.com

·
Registered
301 Posts
cbcbike said:
Just a heads up.....the Apartment at the East Burke Village Inn is no longer available. They turned it into part of the restaurant.

Kind of a bummer....that's been my go to place at KT for a long time. But I can understand why they did it, the restaurant is very good and now they should have double the seating...at least!!

Anyone know of a condo / house / townhouse available up there that would sleep 8 or so?
Some of the condos on Burke Mountain hold 8.

Also, there's this Vacation Rentals site which lists some houses in the area you can rent: http://www.burkemill.com/custom3.shtml#HOUSE_RENTALS

·
Registered
79 Posts
Should also mention that Village Sport shop in Lyndonville has stepped it up this year with 2 full time techs, a full (XC to DH) Giant rental fleet and a satellite shop at the Burke Mountain base lodge on the weekends.

·
Registered
21 Posts
How and WHY are the trails at KTA opening this weekend? It's been an incredibly wet spring not to mention the late snow melt. It just seems like they are not thinking of the trails and protecting them against damage. I hate to see this awesome system get worse and worse.

Right from their website....

Closed

-West Branch between Dry feet and Sidewinder (West Branch climb out is open)

-Violets Outback after West Branch Jcn to Bottom of Old Webs

-Hogback

-East Branch

-All Burke Mountain Trails

Therefore, how are the other trails even rideable?

·
Registered
171 Posts
KT has become a victim of their own sucess - IMO. They've become such a well know MTB destination, and such an important part of the local economy, that they almost HAVE to keep trails open all season.

I think they do a good job keeping the more vunerable trails closed when it is wet (hence Burke Mt often closed). But I understand why they keep other trails open all the time, even if it means they get ridden while wet and soft. In the summer, East Burke's economy survives off of MTB tourism......close the trails and MTB tourist stay home....and East Burke's economy goes in the toilet!

It's kind of a catch 22......

Close the trails and preserve them for the long term, but bankrupt yourself in the short term!

Keep the trails open and thrive in the short term, but erode your product in the long term.

·
Registered
634 Posts
yarsec said:
How and WHY are the trails at KTA opening this weekend? It's been an incredibly wet spring not to mention the late snow melt. It just seems like they are not thinking of the trails and protecting them against damage. I hate to see this awesome system get worse and worse.

Right from their website....

Closed

-West Branch between Dry feet and Sidewinder (West Branch climb out is open)

-Violets Outback after West Branch Jcn to Bottom of Old Webs

-Hogback

-East Branch

-All Burke Mountain Trails

Therefore, how are the other trails even rideable?
The trails listed (at least portions of them) are all down low, near the river, and were flooded two weeks ago. Dry Feet lost two bridges and is covered with a fresh layer of sandy river bottom. Part of West branch was literally under 2 feet of water last weekend, while trails that were higher up were quite dry. Rule of thumb at KT is when it's wet, go high. The trails that are listed as "open," HARP- CORONARY BYPASS- TAPNDIE- TODYS TOUR- WIDOWMAKER -WHITE SCHOOL – POND LOOP- SIDEWINDER – KITCHEL- PINES are generally higher. This is the latest opening I can remember and I've never seen a partial Darling Hill opening (of this scale) before.
That being said, it's been a rainy week. The trails are slated to open, but probably won't be much fun until Mid-Sunday or Monday.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Very much appreciate the info in this thread. I've never been but we're planning a trip up there in July or August. Can't wait!

·
Ducks for Moose
67 Posts
manchvegas said:
buddies an I are tryin to plan a trip for the 21st of may. Is this unrealistic as far as the trails being ready? Or will there be stuff to ride? Thanks for any input
It all depends on rain. There is still some snow on the summit and on the ski trails that have man made snow on them. Therefore the trails off the summit of Burke Mtn may not be open by then. However, there is a good chance most everything else will be good to go, potentially even the lift served terrain on the lower mtn. The Darling Hill trails dry out the fastest due to the fairly sandy loam soils. Some of the trails mentioned above that are near the rivers lost their bridges and hopefully those can be quickly replaced and opened by late May as well.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Hmmmm, a little worried then. I guess I'm looking for some advice as... I consider myself more of an... all mountain rider vs. xc. Am I gonna be dissappointed goin up if the burke trails aren't open yet? I like fast flowy singletrack but... like to have some downhills an jumps etc.. thrown in there. I'm sure it looks fun but am I wasting my time bringin my 6" suspension bike?

·
Registered
301 Posts
manchvegas said:
Hmmmm, a little worried then. I guess I'm looking for some advice as... I consider myself more of an... all mountain rider vs. xc. Am I gonna be dissappointed goin up if the burke trails aren't open yet? I like fast flowy singletrack but... like to have some downhills an jumps etc.. thrown in there. I'm sure it looks fun but am I wasting my time bringin my 6" suspension bike?
The Darling Hill side would be more fun on a beefy hardtail, IMO. I had my 6'' bike up there last year and it's definitely overkill. But, if the mountain dries up and you can do both, it's not a bad bike to bring.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
well, it looks like we're goin the weekend of the 21st as... the best man asked everyone, an booked the room. So, can I get some trail recommendations? I'm by no means a hardcore freerider hitting 10' gaps an drops but... love fast single track an all mountain riding with 2-4' hucks an jumps etc... what's the "smaller mountain" that has been mentioned?

·
Registered
161 Posts
...from what I read here... I'm not sure to be a part of the gang... Folks from SubwayGenetik(370 members, 28 trainers) planned to come to KT from May 21st to 23rd. I don't dislike mud but... BUT, do I like it enough to drive 4h? Not sure yet

I plan to call the KT station by the end of the week to have a better idea of the "wetness" :)

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
manchvegas said:
The mountain side is usually not open until mid to late June. Maybe later this year if we don't get a warm dry spell. It kinda blows because those are the best trails. You might consider doing a day at Highland to get your high speed burly fun and then head over to KT for your all day XC stuff.

1 - 20 of 163 Posts