Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've currently got a cannondale prophet with the original rockshox pike and fox float on , is it worth it swapping the pikes for a lefty max fork or swapping the pikes for a more recent fork and sticking a 1 1/5 headset on the bike as I've heard it's possible to do

Bike has been fitted with a 1 by 10 and sram level T hydros

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd would skip the lefty without a doubt. Not bad, but old tech and not impressive to ride. Been there. Get a modern tapered fork if you feel the need to upgrade.
What type of fork should I be looking at .And as for headsets which ones even support the prophet , should I replace the ageing back fox shock. or should i just get them all resealed and oiled or would I benefit from the advantages of a new fork?.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
140mm fork so something like a RS revelation, RS pike, fox 34 etc.

I don't have the exact info for the headset but there are threads on here about it.

Regarding the rear shock, if you spend money go with a custom tune for the prophet frame from somewhere like TF tuned. Shocks have different velocity and rebound tunes and if you buy the wrong one it won't be ideal. The leverage frame differs from frame to frame and the prophet is sensitive to bottom out so good ramp up at the end of stroke is needed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
140mm fork so something like a RS revelation, RS pike, fox 34 etc.

I don't have the exact info for the headset but there are threads on here about it.

Regarding the rear shock, if you spend money go with a custom tune for the prophet frame from somewhere like TF tuned. Shocks have different velocity and rebound tunes and if you buy the wrong one it won't be ideal. The leverage frame differs from frame to frame and the prophet is sensitive to bottom out so good ramp up at the end of stroke is needed.
Thanks alot for this ill have a look at TF tuned and the forks you mentioned I think I might get a hope headset or another top brand It should be safer

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Love me lefty forks. Super great fork, awesome design, coil models are user-friendly.

But it seems modern tech has more than caught up? If you are looking for a modern high performance fork, probably wouldn't run a Lefty.

You CAN of course ride all the double blacks today on a lefty just like you can with a Fox Vanilla in the back. I love my Lefty bike, and ride it on all the crazy trails people here ride with super-bikes. But I have no illusions that my fun bike "can compete" conceptually with the modern geo and the modern tech. It's just my great fun trail/AM bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.