Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to get some thoughts on a problem that I'm having with my Felt Carbon 29er. THe bikes has been meticulously taken care of and out of the blue I've notice the paint decals of my frame shattering.

Felt tells me I'm out of warranty for this and they'd help me with the VIP frame replacement. Thoughts?

From the photos it looks like cosmetic crack to the white paint or decal which would not affect the integrity of the frame.

[I]The bike is past the warranty period for the finish but for situations like this Felt offers a “VIP” frame replacement program at discounted pricing. If you are interested, please contact your local Felt dealer and they will contact Felt Dealer support for availability and pricing.

Thanks,
Alan Foster - Felt Bicycles
[/I]
Consumer Relations IMG_0537.jpg IMG_0538.jpg IMG_0536.jpg IMG_0537.jpg IMG_0538.jpg IMG_0536.jpg

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'd like to get some thoughts on a problem that I'm having with my Felt Carbon 29er. THe bikes has been meticulously taken care of and out of the blue I've notice the paint decals of my frame shattering.

Felt tells me I'm out of warranty for this and they'd help me with the VIP frame replacement. Thoughts?

From the photos it looks like cosmetic crack to the white paint or decal which would not affect the integrity of the frame.

[I]The bike is past the warranty period for the finish but for situations like this Felt offers a “VIP” frame replacement program at discounted pricing. If you are interested, please contact your local Felt dealer and they will contact Felt Dealer support for availability and pricing.

Thanks,
Alan Foster - Felt Bicycles
[/I]
Consumer Relations View attachment 1097659 View attachment 1097660 View attachment 1097658 View attachment 1097659 View attachment 1097660 View attachment 1097658

I've only ever owned a Felt Road bike, but never had that issue. However, several years ago, I did own a Trek bike that had the same issue. Whatever the paint is that they used, when the bike flexed as it would naturally, cracks developed. It was annoying but purely cosmetic. My thought is that it's the same thing you're experiencing. My advice would be to do the "tap test" to make sure it's not the carbon and only the paint. Gently tap a nickel on part of the frame without the cracks and then do the same on parts of the frame with the cracks. If it sounds dull or much different than when you tapped it on the parts of the frame without the cracks, you might have a compromise in the carbon.

Anyway, hope all that helps and I wouldn't worry about it too much!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have about 400 miles on my Edict and it has developed some cracks but nothing like you've got. I wouldn't worry about it since it's cosmetic.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts