Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
What were you doing when you crashed? That sucks - I thought it was bad when I almost cut off the tip of my finger in my front rotor when I was setting my bike up. GOod luck.

·
i want spring!
480 Posts
finga

i bet u pu yer hand down when u fell and yer finger ripped backwards. i had nothing like that, but my finger looked funky.

it does suck but be thankfull, it wasn't yer leg or back (like me). at least with yer hand you can still go on with yer life and don't have to depend to much on others.

take care
~db

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
Same exact deal with me but I am a little ahead of you. Just got my pin out yesterday and they are fitting me for another splint tonight. At least I can get it wet now. Not sure if you like swimming but I have a pool that I wanted to swim in so I bought a thing called xersox that covers the splint or cast so you can go in water for up to 45 minutes. Worked great for me. Good luck in the healing process! Sucks to be out at this time of the year.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yea, I was pumped when he told me it would only be a splint. I don't have a picture for you but it is pretty small. It goes around half my thumb and wraps around my hand. It is nice because I have full motion in my wrist and other 4 fingers. They made it out of some clay type material which was cut out from a flat piece, warmed up and wrapped around my hand. It quickly cooled down and became rigid. It attaches with one velcro strap. I still wore it all the time but could air out my hand and try to clean the area. My hand still got stank odor but you must be really feelin that! I had the pin in for 5 weeks and just got it out Tuesday which didn't hurt by the way. Thumb is real stiff though. I have to do a bunch of thumb exercizes every day. I was told that it's going to be at least 4 more weeks before I get on my bike again and much longer before it will be back to full strength. I am just glad to be to the next stage. I can now swim without the xersox mit! Hang in there with this whole thing. One step at a time. The good thing is that you had it done now so that it will heal properly and you shouldn't have a problem down the road or "off the road". Good luck!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Nice! I was just told by the PT woman that she thinks that I can ride again! I see the Dr. Tuesday and hope to get the green light. My thumb feel soooooo much better now. Be prepared to have a real stiff thumb and wrist. My wrist was fine due to my splint as you know, but yours will be stiff. Just do alot of hand exercizes and massage the area as much as you can. I was constantly moving my thumb and massaging it and it paid off. I plan on riding next week so I will let you know how it feels. You will be at this place soon. One step at a time...right?! Congrats!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.