Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Did a search regarding this topic but couldn't see anything...

I have Hayes nine discs on my kona dawg with 6 inch fromt and rear rotors.

I do quite a lot of downhill riding and am thinking of switching to an 8 inch front rotor.

I do not have much experience with brakes and was wondering how easy the switch is to make. Since the rotor is larger do the mounts need to be changed on the caliper or extended or something?

Can you buy a single rotor and what sort of cash for a hayes would I be looking at.

Thanks.

·
Team Cspine
492 Posts
Negatory...

JKWITS said:
Hi,

Did a search regarding this topic but couldn't see anything...

I have Hayes nine discs on my kona dawg with 6 inch fromt and rear rotors.

I do quite a lot of downhill riding and am thinking of switching to an 8 inch front rotor.

I do not have much experience with brakes and was wondering how easy the switch is to make. Since the rotor is larger do the mounts need to be changed on the caliper or extended or something?

Can you buy a single rotor and what sort of cash for a hayes would I be looking at.

Thanks.
Definitely check with your actual Kona dealer. I have a Kikapu and I know on my bike and several other x-country Konas that switching to the big rotors will void the warranty because it puts so much torque on the adapter, it will rip it off.

Or post a question for Joe in the Kona forum, he always answers fairly quickly.

Check before you leap!

·
Registered
381 Posts
What kind of fork are you using? What kind of fork you use will dictate what size you can use. If you don't mind voiding a warantee then go ahead and do it, but I will make this recommendation, I wouldn't use a 203 mm rotor on a fork with 30mm stantions with the exception of older long travel forks, other than that you should be fine with 8 inch rotors on most forks with 32 mm stantions.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Wombat said:
I know this is mentioned often, but has anyone actually seen a fork where a 203mm rotor caused some form of damage?

Wombat
2004 and earlier Fox forks would crack at the dropout/disc mount when used with the larger rotors.

Some frames will not clear a 203mm rotor.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a Marzocchi Fondo Race 1 on the bike which is what it came with.

By the sounds of it I might stick to the rotor I have for the time being. Have not found a serious lock of stopping power with it yet but was just considering it since my riding confidence and speed is steadily increasing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.