Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I purchased a 2009 Subie Forester yesterday and figured I would try a roof mount system. Purchased a Thule Big Mouth which seems pretty stable with a little:madman::madman::madman: adjusting here and there. Now the dumb part....the Forester is alot taller than I thought and I actually need a little step box to get the bike on and off. Anyone else run into this stupid problem??
I'll probably put a hitch on after my vacation to visit the family.

·
another day at the office
1,197 Posts
We loaded up an X5 with 3 people, bikes and gear for the D'ville gathering. The bikes had to go on top since there was absolutely no room inside. Since Francois, Pineapple Bob, and I are all under 5'7", loading/unloading bikes from the roof rack was impossible without something under our feet that raised us a foot or so above the ground.

Attachments

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jrm said:
its a skillful alternative to a box..
Maybe I dont have the skill needed:D I considered this and even tried it but balance is a bit akward and the last thing I want to do is rake my chainring across the vehicle while I try to get my balance. I want to keep it new looking for awhile anyways:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
This is one more reason I bought a fork mount roof rack as opposed to a complete bike rack (Thule Echelon over Sidearm) -- I'm five six and envisioned this problem. Fork mount makes it a little easier.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
My wife needs a milk crate to get her bike on the roof of her Blazer. She could probably reach the top of my Passat, but I haven't let her try. ;) If I had to stand on something every time I wanted to bring my bike somewhere, I'd definitely be looking for an alternative method of carry than the roof..

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Milk crate is a pretty damn good idea! In the end, Ill have a hitch put on cause I just feel like the bike is more secure. Probably not use to seeing my bike on the top of the car

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
Open the back door, and stand on the floor with one foot and put the other on top of the rear tire. I can put a bike on my CR-V, but to get up and look inside the cargo box - when it's on - sometimes I need to get a bit taller. This works and is pretty stable!

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
my roof is all gouged up from helpful short people. :( Seems like if you're not tall compared to your car, it's best to have a wheel mount rack so don't drop your forks on your roof. the thule criterium seems like the best solution, since you can move the arm in place and then push the bike sideways up into it- don't have to be able to reach the frame once its up there.

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
rockhop said:
Buy a cheap step ladder. Fold it flat and leave it in your trunk.

That's exactly what I use for my getting to my fifth and sixth racks up on the roof of my Taurus X (crossover with a minivan height). The door and tires work fine for getting into a cargo box. But for a bike you need to use both hands and lean back to get the bike off. The stool works much better.

·
Advanced Slacker
15,399 Posts
JoelovesDirt said:
I sure as hell wouldn't want to get rear ended with my bikes on a hitch rack.
It's the classic rear-ended with trunk/hitch mount vs. clipped the roof mount on low obstruction debate.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.