Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
See I need a bit of help... I am about to get some wider riser bars but not sure yet how much rise for the bars... Can't help but think the tall head tube, 20mm of stem stackers, and what looks to be a 10deg stem aren't helping matters...

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
It's all about dialing in the fit. Tall folks will sometimes need the full length of the steerer tube, and a long stem for reach. Others won't. Bars are a preference comfort-wise. I run flats on one, risers on another. Stems are also about dialing in fit.

With mass production how'd you do it?

They need to offer a range of possibilities to allow for our differences, both riding wise and body proportions.

I'm building a custom frame this winter; I know pretty much exactly what stem I'm using, how many spacers and what bar. I can guarantee the bike will fit no one else if I chose to sell it, unless they were pretty close to my 6'5" height with long legs and arms.

Drew

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
9speed said:
What's the point of having stem stackers, stems with rise, and riser bars? All creates a bit of a mess don't it?
The point is to get the grips where you need them. Figure out where that is and then look for the bar/stem that will get them there.

Maybe you will need a long 35* stem, headset spacers and 3" riser bar or it could be a flat bar in a short negative rise stem.

·
Registered
142 Posts
f3rg said:
Because a couple stem spacers and a 0° stem looks a whole lot better than no spacers and a 35° stem.
My dilemma, which would you prefer, a 2 inches spacer below a zero rise stem/25mm rise bar combo or reduce the spacers and make the handlebar rise higher...just cant get over the look of a very tall spacer..

·
Registered
161 Posts
This whole thing about low bars & stems is all down to racers.
They tend to keep it low at the front to get their body in the right position for ultimate pedalling efficiency, and don't care about comfort.
So, if you want to be cool & look like a racer, you need low bars & stem.
If you want to be comfy, and don't care about ultimate pedalling efficiency, then just use whatever bars & stem you want.
I've got a Tioga R60 bar, with 6cm rise, on an On-One 80mm x 17 degree stem, with 20mm spacers, and I don't think anyone else has ever commented on it ;)

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Here's a photo of a very typical cross country set up. There is about two, maybe 2 1/2 inches between saddle and seat.

There are 30 mm of spacers under the stem, and one un-needed spacer on top. I am removing 10 mm from the steerer tube this winter because I absolutely don't want the front any higher (and want to lose the spacer on top). After I've cut off 10 mm I'm going to move the 10mm spacer from below the stem to above just to try it with the bars a bit lower. If I like it better after a few months, I may cut another 10mm off the steerer.

I'm 6' 5" so I'm very careful about leaving enough steerer for my height. I cut one too short way back and ended up running a stem with a 45 deg. rise. The bike looked like crap.

The flat bars are a very narrow 23 1/2 inches since I have a bad tendency for snagging trees. I figured that the flat bar would give more room for the controls, and more strength than a riser.

Drew

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
how about all of the above?

No one system works for everyone, were all built differently and have different limitations.
I run a Hope 70mm X 25 degree rise stem + 2" rise bar and over an inch of spacers on my suspension rigs just to be able to ride more than 20 minutes, when I run a more conventional setup my back starts hurting.
As for not feeling right out of the saddle is concerned I run a 60mm 10 degree easton magnesium DH stem with a 2"rise bar and well over an inch of spacers to match my setup on my suspension bikes and it actuall works well for me out of the saddle.

G

·
I would have said that if you want to look cool, get a riser bar. What tickles me is seeing people do custom frames and then put riser bars on them. Can't get the bar height right with full custom?

Otherwise, use what gets the bar in the right position. Oh, and low bars aren't just about ultimate pedaling efficiency; I'd say it has a lot more to do with things other than pedaling efficiency.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.