Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm trying to replace the handle bars on my scooter (2006 Honda Ruckus) with lower mtb ones but the handlebars and stem are one integrated piece so I need to replace both. This is a bit of an issue cuz my steerer tube is only 15/16 of an inch.

I'm trying to find a stem that's not ridiculously long and is made for a 1" steerer tube. If I use a 1 1/8 stem like most mtb stems then that's about 28.5mm diameter which is pretty far off. I know mtn bikes used to use 1" steerers which is a lot closer at 25.4mm. If I can get one of these then I could either shim it or just clamp it down hard. If I have to go with 1 1/8 I guess I could shim it that much but I'm not stoked about doing that...I'd like a pretty generic stem that's black and the shorter it is the better....nothing longer than 75mm cuz the stocker setup is 0mm...Any idea's?

·
Registered
467 Posts
what diameter is the clamp fo rthe bars on it now? is it some sort of integrated stem or something? you could probably find mtb style bars in that diameter, and not even chane the stem. if the diameter of the handle part of the bars is diff than mtb bars, the brakes, throttle, clutch etc wont fit on the mtb bars.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, there isn't a clamp. If you look closely at the picture you'll see there isn't even a stem at all but the handlebars just slide down on to the steerer and then a bolt goes through to prevent it from slipping. Other people have done this mod but they are buying custom scooter specific stems that are about 125-150$. Basically I need a stem that'll clamp onto a 15/16" tube (maybe with the help of shims) and is as short as possible so my bars aren't hanging too far forward.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
coma13 said:
What on earth is that thing? What do you do on it?
It's my only wheels. It a 50cc 4-stroke Honda scooter. It's a blast to drive, it's totally legal and I get about 100mpg. I've modified it with a lot of stuff including a camshaft, big bore piston etc so it goes atleast 50mph which is lots for around town. They're about 2g$ US.

If you look carefully you'll see that's actually not my bike but it's a photoshop job I did. My actual scoot looks just like it though with the same exhaust etc and with that lowered seat but I've also got cool rims, shocks, kickstand etc.

I'm just trying to clean up the look a bit which is why I took off the tail light, I'm integrating the blinkers, and swapping the bars.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The road stem idea is great...both 35$ and 1" sound beautiful...but is there anything shorter than 90mm? If you look at the pic of my bike you'll see the stock bars are directly above the steerer so 90mm is a pretty big difference.

Also, upon looking at the pricepoint site it says that stem fits both 1 1/8 and 1" which makes me believe it's a 1 1/8 stem that can be cranked down to one inch and might get pretty stressed if I go all the way to 15/16". Regardless, good lead with the road bike stuff although I'll have a hard time finding something short.

What diameter is BMX stuff?

·
notabouttoseeyourlight
2,664 Posts
dandurston said:
It's my only wheels. It a 50cc 4-stroke Honda scooter. It's a blast to drive, it's totally legal and I get about 100mpg. I've modified it with a lot of stuff including a camshaft, big bore piston etc so it goes atleast 50mph which is lots for around town. They're about 2g$ US.

If you look carefully you'll see that's actually not my bike but it's a photoshop job I did. My actual scoot looks just like it though with the same exhaust etc and with that lowered seat but I've also got cool rims, shocks, kickstand etc.

I'm just trying to clean up the look a bit which is why I took off the tail light, I'm integrating the blinkers, and swapping the bars.
That's awesome! You need to build a little single bike trailer and that would be the coolest vehicle ever!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That stems sounds perfect but I can't see a pic...was one showing up for you?

Notice in the above pic how the seat isn't lowered like mine is and notice the huge taillight hanging off the back which is okay but I don't really like it either. My taillight is a tiny LED unit mounted just under the frame tube.

·
I like air!
915 Posts
dandurston said:
The road stem idea is great...both 35$ and 1" sound beautiful...but is there anything shorter than 90mm? If you look at the pic of my bike you'll see the stock bars are directly above the steerer so 90mm is a pretty big difference.

Also, upon looking at the pricepoint site it says that stem fits both 1 1/8 and 1" which makes me believe it's a 1 1/8 stem that can be cranked down to one inch and might get pretty stressed if I go all the way to 15/16". Regardless, good lead with the road bike stuff although I'll have a hard time finding something short.

What diameter is BMX stuff?
Dude, I would not go shimming or over-tightening a larger stem on to a motor vehicle that does 50mph. That's asking for trouble in a big way.

·
Registered
59 Posts
milhouse said:
Dude, I would not go shimming or over-tightening a larger stem on to a motor vehicle that does 50mph. That's asking for trouble in a big way.
A lot of road stems come with shims for 1". I really doubt that you would be able to tighten it down to work on a 1". Give them a ring and check.

A quick google search found this: http://store.yahoo.com/phattire1/bicstem118to.html

its a reducer shim 1 1/8" to 1"

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One thing I'm hesitant about is that my scooter fork doesn't use a star nut but rather it's permanently in there somehow. Because of this my stem is going to need to stay on there simply by being clamped on really tight. Judging from my experience with mtn. bikes the stem should stay on there pretty good but do you guys think this is a bad idea? My stock bars slide down over the top of the steerer and then a bolt goes through so you can't yank them up and off.

BRRRP: That shim is a great find....and only 6$ too for a Thomson part!

It seems that some stems are capable of being cranked down a lot more than others. It seems to me if I get one of these and then get that 1 1/8 to 1" shim and then get another smaller shim I might have a decent set up. It's a bit ghetto but by using a 1 1/8 stem I can get a really nice one that's short too.

I know that you can (or used to be able to) get handlebar shims. I don't know what the diameter of regular bars are but perhaps there's something I can use.

Thx everyone.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the pic of the FMF stem. It looks pretty good (although I'd like to take the logo off). The only thing is that it says it fits 22.2mm bars. Aren't all mtn bike bars 25.4mm?? I guess it could try to modify it...22.2mm must be road bars.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hmm....the stem in the 2nd link looks like a pretty normal DH/FR stem. What makes it special compared to any other short DH/FR stem? I couldn't open the first link because it's just says I need to view it 'over a secure channel.

Right now I'm leaning towards just getting a 1 1/8 stem like one of the 2 shown below. Then I'll buy or make a shim somehow so it fits. I've got an extra top cap but I'm not sure about the whole starnut/fangle nut situation. I'd love to use one cuz it's safer but I'm not sure if I'll be able to fit it in my 15/16" steerer. Maybe they make special 1" diameter fork star nuts. I'll call my LBS...

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
dandurston said:
Hmm....the stem in the 2nd link looks like a pretty normal DH/FR stem. What makes it special compared to any other short DH/FR stem? I couldn't open the first link because it's just says I need to view it 'over a secure channel.

Right now I'm leaning towards just getting a 1 1/8 stem like one of the 2 shown below. Then I'll buy or make a shim somehow so it fits. I've got an extra top cap but I'm not sure about the whole starnut/fangle nut situation. I'd love to use one cuz it's safer but I'm not sure if I'll be able to fit it in my 15/16" steerer. Maybe they make special 1" diameter fork star nuts. I'll call my LBS...
The first link is the shim. I put the pick of the stem because you didnt like the FMF on the cap, yes nothing special.
http://www.bti-usa.com/list.asp?cat=ST&sec=STAD&mfr=WZ

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.