Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
spec4life???..smh...
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when i first bought my bike at the lbs we had a long discussion about bike size and i tried several diffrent bikes.

The 17" was just all around to big so i went with a 15" bike because i figured i could through it around a little easier and it fit me better overall. The only problem was the top tube was a little shorter than what id like. They said i could get a longer stem then but suggested that i just slide my seat back and try that for a while and then get a longer stem if i didt like that. Well i think the time has come for that longer stem.

I say all that to say this, Right now my stem is 60mm and i cant decide whether to go with a 80 or 100mm stem. I dont want to go out much further, but dont know if the 80 will even make a noticible diffrence. Heres the stem i think ill go with...

http://www.blueskycycling.com/product4179_51_-Race-Face-Evolve-AM-Stem.htm

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
21 Posts
My stem on my trek 4500 was originally 110mm. I went down to a 90mm to get a more upright position. It was a noticeable difference and got me right where i needed for a comfortable fit. I was thinking that a small amount may not do much, but it did in my case. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
495 Posts
20mm is a pretty big difference, as far as a stem is concerned. It would be nice if you could borrow a stem either from a shop or a friend to see how an 80mm feels. If you can't borrow one, I'd try the 80mm first. It's only $15 anyway.

Can't go wrong with a RaceFace.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
20mm is very noticable. It will not only affect your position on the bike but also make the bike handle differently. You'll find the bike to be less nervous/nimble.

Two thoughts:

1) You may want to go back to your LBS. While they might not want to trade in your current stem, they still might be willing to give you a deal and/or allow you to try some stems.

2) Also check for other parameters around the stem that affect the reach. Consider the rise/angle of the replacement stem, the stems stack height and look for spacers between stem and headset.

·
spec4life???..smh...
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys...The rise of my stock stem is 10degrees whereas the new stem would only be 8 degrees. I thought that might also give me a more stretched out position. I saw the stack height on the new stem but have no clue what that is refering to or what my stock one is. On my bike right now there is several spacers under the stem.

It may be easier to tell you i ride a 15" 08 hardrock and just ask if you think that stem would work. Seems the consensus is 80mm will make the diffrence im looking for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.