Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of putting my first 29" bike together, a medium Banshee Paradox. For the past few years I've been riding a medium Intense 5point5 with a 23" top tube and I've been using a 90mm. stem. The Paradox has a 23.2" top tube.

I wanted to ask others who have changed to 29" bikes, if stem length translates. Should the same 90mm. stem work out. The thing is I have noticed on most Paradox builds posted here that people tend to use fairly short stems.

I know that I should actually try a bunch of stems but that is easier said than done. I don't have an assortment of stems lying around or a bike shop to borrow them from.

Ronnie.

Attachments

·
Registered
760 Posts
You should be in the ballpark with your 90mm stem. What others ride is really irrelevant.
Stem selection is nuanced based upon seat tube angle which changes effective top tube length and also handlebar selection matters. Amount of bar sweep changes cockpit length dramatically. Further stack height matters quite a bit as well as reach is a function of both horizontal (tt + stem) and vertical bar position (stack height). You can calculate the stem length you need but honestly the best way is to buy a cheap stem in the ball park and then hone your fit with a good replacement. I normally put 4 different stems and handlebars on my bikes before I dial in fit and I can do the trig. ;) No substitute for trial and error as you may even learn that your previous bike wasn't sized perfectly.
Cheers.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Ronnie said:
I'm in the process of putting my first 29" bike together, a medium Banshee Paradox. For the past few years I've been riding a medium Intense 5point5 with a 23" top tube and I've been using a 90mm. stem. The Paradox has a 23.2" top tube.

I wanted to ask others who have changed to 29" bikes, if stem length translates. Should the same 90mm. stem work out. The thing is I have noticed on most Paradox builds posted here that people tend to use fairly short stems.

I know that I should actually try a bunch of stems but that is easier said than done. I don't have an assortment of stems lying around or a bike shop to borrow them from.

Ronnie.
Bike fit is bike fit. Wheel size does not change that.

Assuming the STA is similar, your cockpit length will be very close to the same with the same stem.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
shiggy said:
Bike fit is bike fit. Wheel size does not change that.

Assuming the STA is similar, your cockpit length will be very close to the same with the same stem.
I just checked the Intense's SA is 72º. The Paradox spec. I've seen says 72º - 73º. I suppose that is dependent on fork length. It can take a 120mm. fork. So very much the same. This bike has short chain stays (16.9") and the seat tube curves backwards. In my mind that puts the bottom bracket further back. As I said I'm curious why most of the Paradoxs I've seen posted have very short stems.

I guess I'll have to try my 90mm. and if it's too long buy a cheap, short stem to try.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Assuming you want the same fit(big assumption), and are using the same bar and saddle:

Set the saddle the same height and set back from the pedal, then measure the distance from the saddle to the handle bar on the old bike, do the same on the new bike and see how long a stem that requires.

I think the reason many people are using a short stem on the Banshee is that it's billed as an agresive bike, those tend to be run with a shorter stem.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bonesetter2004 said:
I thought 29er's 'liked' wide bars and short stems? (not that 90 is that long)
But you're using a 50mm. on the same frame and you are 3½" taller than me.:confused:

Ronnie.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Ronnie said:
But you're using a 50mm. on the same frame and you are 3½" taller than me.:confused:

Ronnie.
fortunately Ronnie, there is no standard, not even close. I should be on an XL by most counts, among other things I probably should be doing but dont. You know as well as I do that 2 otherwise identical people even, with different subjective preferences, will simply opt for different length this, and that, etc

try the 90mm and go from there....

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jacques_anquetil said:
oh man, did the wife see that you put the drivetrain straight on that couch? ;)
She took the photo.:aureola: Besides, it is brand new. I wish I had the opportunity to make it dirty.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FoShizzle said:
fortunately Ronnie, there is no standard, not even close. I should be on an XL by most counts, among other things I probably should be doing but dont. You know as well as I do that 2 otherwise identical people even, with different subjective preferences, will simply opt for different length this, and that, etc

try the 90mm and go from there....
Fo, of course you are right.:blush: I'm just being lazy and don't want to pull the 5point5 apart. Besides it is also set up perfectly. I'd like to order a nice bling stem to be here when the fork arrives this week.

Ronnie.

·
Spear & Magic Helmet
305 Posts
Ronnie said:
She took the photo.:aureola: Besides, it is brand new. I wish I had the opportunity to make it dirty.

Ronnie.
Try the 90mm. You'll know if you are in the right ball park. If it works then you can get a bling stem right away. If you need to adjust buy a couple of inexpensive stems and see what works. The Kalloy Uno can be had for < $20. Or eBay.

Good lookin' bike.

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
Two tenths of an inch isn't that much difference in cockpit size to most people... Still, some are more sensitive to that than others. Most important - get your saddle-to-crank relationship set-up first. Then you will find out if anything needs to change. Like dirtrider7 mentioned, the head angle/height may be different, which will affect the cockpit - and if you use a different bar (or even Ergon-style grips) can effectively change the distance you perceive from the saddle to the bar. Some riders end up wanting a stem with a lower or negative rise when they go to a 29'er, as the headtube is often a bit higher in relation to the saddle. Ultimately, only you will be able to tell what stem will be right - but you are probably equipped with the right one already! Enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
I think taller front ends are a big part of the equation. It seems to work out as a general rule that the higher your bars the closer in they need to be to get a setup that feels good and fits well.

A 120mm fork with a 29er wheel is a whole bunch taller than a 120mm fork on your 5point5. Not only is the hub 1.5" higher off the ground but that fork will be close in length to a 6" 26er fork as well. Your BB height and saddle height probably haven't changed much though, so the fit will be pretty different

Although the ST and HT angles are a bit part of the overall equation, the combination of tall front ends and long stems never seems to work out unless you also have really long legs and tower over the fork

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
boomn said:
I think taller front ends are a big part of the equation. It seems to work out as a general rule that the higher your bars the closer in they need to be to get a setup that feels good and fits well.

A 120mm fork with a 29er wheel is a whole bunch taller than a 120mm fork on your 5point5. Not only is the hub 1.5" higher off the ground but that fork will be close in length to a 6" 26er fork as well. Your BB height and saddle height probably haven't changed much though, so the fit will be pretty different

Although the ST and HT angles are a bit part of the overall equation, the combination of tall front ends and long stems never seems to work out unless you also have really long legs and tower over the fork
What would you say the axle to crown of the typical 120mm. 29" fork would be? I have a 145mm.(5.7") Nixon Super on my 5point5 with an A to C of 518mm. It is your "close" to your 6" travel fork.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Ronnie said:
What would you say the axle to crown of the typical 120mm. 29" fork would be? I have a 145mm.(5.7") Nixon Super on my 5point5 with an A to C of 518mm. It is your "close" to your 6" travel fork.

Ronnie.
Reba 120mm is 526mm
Fox 120mm is 520mm
Manitou 120mm is 530mm

Don't forget that the 29er fork is also sitting 1+1/2" higher off the ground so it is in someways equivalent to a much longer fork on a 26" bike

·