Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my current stem has a very low rise and is well over 120mm long.

when i stand to pedal up hill i have to lean back or the tire will spin but to lean back i have to bend my nees little and pedal ( very hard for me to do) because i dont have the reach up front. the sterm is long and a very low rise .

my question : if i put on a 50mm and 40% rise stem it should bring the bars closer to me and higher moving back.
is this the idea? do lbs have stems to try or i have to guess ? that could get costly!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In general - in riding position your eyes - bars - front axle have to be in line 70mm is huge difference.
based on this i do need a shorter stem,

but am i correct in thinking the short stem will get my balance point pushed bck when standing?

·
No Stranger to danger....
4,596 Posts
OP, you can either get a stem with no rise n buy a bar with the rise you need, or you can look to get a stem with rise n a bar to suit how high you want the front end..
I rock a 50mm zero rise stem, with a bar that has 25mm of rise, or even a bar with 50mm rise if you want thats called a high rise bar..
its just my opinion that a bar of 120mm is very long n gives you a very goofy feel, if you get a zero rise stem you can always get down to that height with a low bar n get a higher bar if you need the height.
so i would use the bar to get the height not the stem, but thats just my opinion ,cheers

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
This might help. Also my LBS has stems that they will let you try, to get fit right, but not all do this. Best to go in and ask, worst they tell you is no.

Attachments

Reactions: Tone's

·
4,596 Posts
This might help. Also my LBS has stems that they will let you try, to get fit right, but not all do this. Best to go in and ask, worst they tell you is no.
great graph there junior, you bought up something very important that i failed to bring up, and thats the angle of the head tube, i do ride very slack bikes so a zero rise stem suits me well as the bikes are so slack, this might not apply to the op, cheers:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
great graph there junior, you bought up something very important that i failed to bring up, and thats the angle of the head tube, i do ride very slack bikes so a zero rise stem suits me well as the bikes are so slack, this might not apply to the op, cheers:thumbsup:
Thanks Tone's, wish I could take credit but I got the graph after it was posted elsewhere. Grabbed it with no shame and use it every time I look at changing my cockpit. I kinda think that graph should be included with every stem sold.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank`s for the onfo men! I bought a Pro Athertons 50mm hi rise bar, it should be here tomarrow i will put it on and see how it feels then i will try a stem i think i will want a short stem 50 or 70 mm but not sure about the rise i want to ride it first,
i like to climb i want to get my balance back and the bars higher so i dont have to bend forword during a clime, does this make sence? The bike is a rumblefish. thank`s Will

·
Registered
248 Posts
thank`s for the onfo men! I bought a Pro Athertons 50mm hi rise bar, it should be here tomarrow i will put it on and see how it feels then i will try a stem i think i will want a short stem 50 or 70 mm but not sure about the rise i want to ride it first,
i like to climb i want to get my balance back and the bars higher so i dont have to bend forword during a clime, does this make sence? The bike is a rumblefish. thank`s Will
. Short stem and high bars are good for going downhill. You can fall back over rear wheel on steep climb if your balance is to much on rear wheel. Longer stem is better for climbing - YOU CAN BEND forward to keep front wheel on ground.

·
4,596 Posts
. Short stem and high bars are good for going downhill. You can fall back over rear wheel on steep climb if your balance is to much on rear wheel. Longer stem is better for climbing - YOU CAN BEND forward to keep front wheel on ground.
i understand your point there but its a big generalisation, i ride freeride n AM and love to just razz around ,i only ever rock a short 40mm or 50mm stem, i ride very slack bikes aswell n my bikes front wheel never wants to get off the ground on the hills, its all in your riding style.
High bars are not just for DH, plenty of DH riders rock low bars n plenty of trail riders rock high bars, it all depends on what you like, your size, n the bikes size n its travel..
mate ive never seen anybody fall back over their rear wheel lol

·
Registered
248 Posts
i understand your point there but its a big generalisation, i ride freeride n AM and love to just razz around ,i only ever rock a short 40mm or 50mm stem, i ride very slack bikes aswell n my bikes front wheel never wants to get off the ground on the hills, its all in your riding style.
High bars are not just for DH, plenty of DH riders rock low bars n plenty of trail riders rock high bars, it all depends on what you like, your size, n the bikes size n its travel..
mate ive never seen anybody fall back over their rear wheel lol
Yes. I meant XC bikes.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mate ive never seen anybody fall back over their rear wheel lol[/QUOTE

Makes sence to me. I feel the high rise bars will be better for me, I got a 50mm rise bar coming in the mail and my bike shop loaned me a 25* and 75mm long stem to try, i think i will like this combo maybe to high but it is just to try before i buy one.

i dont think i will be falling off the back! i feel like i need the bars up higher so my nees are not bent when climing and also to get my weight back a bit.

·
4,596 Posts
mate ive never seen anybody fall back over their rear wheel lol[/QUOTE

Makes sence to me. I feel the high rise bars will be better for me, I got a 50mm rise bar coming in the mail and my bike shop loaned me a 25* and 75mm long stem to try, i think i will like this combo maybe to high but it is just to try before i buy one.

i dont think i will be falling off the back! i feel like i need the bars up higher so my nees are not bent when climing and also to get my weight back a bit.
mate with a 50mm rise bar you prob dont want any rise in your stem, the bar will prob have all the rise you need, with the 50mm bar you will also be able to tilt it forward as much as you want to balance up your reach, ive rocked 50mm bars alot in the past n always likes them, you will prob find you can rock a 50-60mm stem with zero or not much rize at all, cheers n good luck

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yup i put on a 50mm no rise Thomson stem wiht the 50mm rise wide pro athertons bar and i like it very much, you guy`s were a big help.

i like the rise on the bar because i can rotate the bars and fine tune the adjustment!!

·
4,596 Posts
Yup i put on a 50mm no rise Thomson stem wiht the 50mm rise wide pro athertons bar and i like it very much, you guy`s were a big help.

i like the rise on the bar because i can rotate the bars and fine tune the adjustment!!
Thats great news mate, real happy it worked out well for you, and i think with the shorter stem once you get used to it you will find the bike will be alot more responsive for you, it will take a few rides to get used to it but youll never go back, and as you said theres an advantage to having a high rise bar n thats that you can adjust it forward to get a little more room in the cockpit, and with the wider bar you can get further forward too, cheers n happy days......:thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts