Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all again,

Trying to raise my stem and not too sure how to go about this. My old bikes I would just loosen the stem center bolt, twist it loose and twist and raise. This FSR Specialized has 3 spacers under the stock stem with the center bolt also. Do I need to add spacers if I raise the stem? How far can I raise the stem? Thanks all. Does this work like with the old wedge piece connected to the stem?

Sid

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
sid said:
Hey all again,
Trying to raise my stem and not too sure how to go about this. My old bikes I would just loosen the stem center bolt, twist it loose and twist and raise. This FSR Specialized has 3 spacers under the stock stem with the center bolt also. Do I need to add spacers if I raise the stem? How far can I raise the stem? Thanks all. Does this work like with the old wedge piece connected to the stem?
Well you're sorta out of luck. Your stem looks like this right?

If you have spacers on the top, then you can switch them to the bottom. But if they're already on the bottom, there's not much you can do. You could get away with adding 1-2 spacers, but then you start reducing the clamping area of the stem.

Your only real option is getting a new stem with a larger rise.

This here will show you how the threadless stem system works.
https://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_headthreadless.shtml

·
Registered
928 Posts
if you want to raise your bars

Get another stem probably with a 15° angle, make sure you get one that's the right length for you, and also you can try riser bars, which come in many different variations. I would suggest going to your lbs and learn all you can from them before you buy anything. Good Luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.