Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have been riding a Thomson Elite 120/ 15 degree for years...I would love to dump some weight, but the 15 degrees has me commited to that stem. I have cut my steerer tube to meet the top of the Thomson. The WCS is 6 degrees...with a weight loss of about 78 grams... but, at my age (54), I really don't feel like giving my body a "re-fitting shock". The new Thomson X4 is 10 degrees, but only accepts a 31.8 bar. I have a new Maxxum 25.4 bar...thus I ain't going to buy a new bar. Any thoughts?

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
If the bar is new, just sell it and go with the...

X4. You could also shim the bar to fit.
Shims for 25.4 to 31.8 are now availabe. If you get a new bar, go with a FSA K-Force in 31.8

·
Registered
796 Posts
Not sure if you'd be interested but the OEM Giant aluminum stem with "carbon" inserts was apparently offered in a 120 mm, 15 degree version and weighed in at 164 g. Not sure if you could find one or if you'd want one but I imagine you could pick one up for cheap. Decent weight savings compared to your 205 g Thomson.

There's also XACD.com as an option. They offer a Ti stem in your size but I'm not sure about the weight.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Alan said:
So, I have been riding a Thomson Elite 120/ 15 degree for years...I would love to dump some weight, but the 15 degrees has me commited to that stem. I have cut my steerer tube to meet the top of the Thomson. The WCS is 6 degrees...with a weight loss of about 78 grams... but, at my age (54), I really don't feel like giving my body a "re-fitting shock". The new Thomson X4 is 10 degrees, but only accepts a 31.8 bar. I have a new Maxxum 25.4 bar...thus I ain't going to buy a new bar. Any thoughts?
It`s a little involved but... if you must have a higher degree stem you could get the Ritchey 17 degree road stem (ebay), then shave 0.6mm off the bolt face (where the bars fit into) and viola... a MTB stem that fits! A machine shop could do this for you no prob.

Keep your bar. The manufacturers will have you at 31.8 soon enough. If you`re even considering a 6 degree stem get the Syntace F99.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.