Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I just can't get myself to buy the f99. I want something light, but just can't get myself to trust something that light. I am 135 lbs and ride mostly XC so most would probably say that I wouldn't have any trouble with the f99, but I am going to go for something a little stronger. So what options are there? I currently have an older s-works stem at 180g so I am looking for something that will be relatively strong but hopefully fall somewhere between the weight of the s-workd and the f99. For example a light, strong stem designed for use on an all mountain kind of bike. They say pick two: light strong cheep. I am picking the first two, light and strong.

·
Registered
500 Posts
yz_387 said:
Ok, I just can't get myself to buy the f99. I want something light, but just can't get myself to trust something that light. I am 135 lbs and ride mostly XC so most would probably say that I wouldn't have any trouble with the f99, but I am going to go for something a little stronger. So what options are there? I currently have an older s-works stem at 180g so I am looking for something that will be relatively strong but hopefully fall somewhere between the weight of the s-workd and the f99. For example a light, strong stem designed for use on an all mountain kind of bike. They say pick two: light strong cheep. I am picking the first two, light and strong.
At your weight you will have no problem with the f99. I use one and I am 190. I ride XC, some rocky rooty trails, no big drops. It is a fine stem. Have you ever heard of one failing?

The Pazzaz at $9 is a smokin deal, but most people don't need a 110, the shortest they have available. Here is an inexpensive and only slightly heavier option:

Price Point Sette stem

If you are determined to spend more, you could look at Ritchey WCS stems. But I don't think any of these are necessarily more sturdy than a Syntace.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
thompson stem

It is difficult to get a light stem at cheap price. Light weight gears cost more than regular items. I recommend the Thompson 70mm stem. it cost more money than regular stem but it is strong and will definitely be compatible with all mountain bike. It will look very nice on your bike. I installed it on my Specialized Stumpjumper 2003. It looks really sweet.

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
Picard said:
It is difficult to get a light stem at cheap price. Light weight gears cost more than regular items. I recommend the Thompson 70mm stem. it cost more money than regular stem but it is strong and will definitely be compatible with all mountain bike. It will look very nice on your bike. I installed it on my Specialized Stumpjumper 2003. It looks really sweet.
If you go with the thomson (nice stem in my opinion) check out their x2 and x4 stems. Lighter, but oversized bar clamps. That can be a good thing too, but requires buying a new bar.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the replies

Stems like the RF deus, Ritchy WCS and pazzaz are similar weight cheaper versions of the F99, correct? My concern is not cost, but strength. What is the F139? A stronger version of the F99? If so, maybe that is the rout I should go. I realize that thompson is also an option, but if I get a 120mm one (I need somewhere between 115 and 120mm), I think it will be almost as heavy as my current 180g stem.

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
The F99 is one of the strongest tested stems on the market...

The F139 is it's slighty heavier brother. Both should be as strong as each other. Just the F99 shaves soem weight by design.

You will have NO issues at ALL at your weight.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
DIRT BOY said:
The F99 is one of the strongest tested stems on the market...
How many downhillers use it?

·
Registered
790 Posts
F99

Go with the F99, you cannot go wrong. It is not weak, it is light because of superior engineering, and a strong alloy-it is 3d cold forged to be strong with the minimum amount of material. At 79.95 from dirtboy it is also cheaper than what you will pay for a Ritchey WCS or a Thomson. Do not be afraid. I weigh 165 lb. and am not.

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
I guess I should have said when it comes to XC stems..

The Superforce is for DH use.
Syntace is known to have the highest testing stanadrs for thier equipment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.