Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
i have a 75mm stem. shorter and the cockpit is too cramped and i have to lean waaay forward on sweeping turns, longer doesn't pander to my cowardice on steep downhills. I'd probably go a little shorter if the top tube was a little longer.

On my xc bike the 110mm stem doesn't bother me, but i don't ride that bike at the ragged edge of control.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
70mm 25 deg rise

Ever since fisher came out with the long TT short stem thing it's allways felt right for me. What I like about the set up is that when you turn the bar, it's like turning a motorcycle handlebar, just a twist of the steer tube. With the old classic 120mm flat stem, flat bar or anything close to it, your weight transfers hard to the inside while cornering, I found that to make switchbacks tougher. That allways sketched me. I like my weight back for the spooky stuff but central enough to still climb.
My bar and stem have gotten higher and shorter the older I get, at 50 I might have to have the stem on backwards:skep: .

·
one chain, two sprockets
355 Posts
I run a 53mm BMX stem and find it perfect for all-around aggressive riding. This stem has a slight drop to the bar position so you get full reach.
Product Electronic device Technology White Line

I originally wanted ~70mm but couldn't find one in a BMX (22.2mm) clamp. Now that I've adjusted to it, I don't think I would want a longer stem. The additional length would put my knees closer to the stem when I drop into stability mode (skinnies/obstacles/ramps) or when climbing (standing on a singlespeed).

Tom P.

·
Advanced Slacker
15,569 Posts
TheDon said:
Post your stem lengths and your educated reasons why. Most people have ridden several length stems, probably on the same bike. So give your opinions and how it changes the feel of the ride.:thumbsup:
I think a truly educated answer would be that you can't give one length as the best. It depends on the bike. Also, stem length does not mean much without also knowing the rise, as that changes the actual reach of the stem. On my current AM bike I have a 70mm x 7deg stem, on my last one I had a 90mm x 0 deg. That's about 25mm of difference in reach to achieve about the same feel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.