Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Just wondering before I blow $70.00 if a one degree difference in stem length can be felt by the average rider? I dropped from a 100mm w 6 degree rise stem (low back issues) to a 90mm w 5 degree which I had in the garage. Now my back issues are gone, but now the base of my neck is getting all jacked up after my rides. So, I am wondering if staying at 90 but going back to a 6 degree rise will solve this or would I just be wasting cash? Help??? Thanks.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I knew someone that had a problem with back and neck pain on long rides. What he did was went to a bike shop that does custom fitting and have them tell him what he needed. He made it sound like he rode a trainer and they just punched numbers into a computer and calculated all the right length, rise etc. on various parts like stems seatposts etc. My advice would be to do the same, most bike shops that do custom fits will do it for free because they make money off the parts they sell to you to fix your fit problem. Oh and by the way my friend no longer has any pain anywhere. Good Luck

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
maybe

That's a good idea btw! But to the op, I doubt you are feeling the 1 degree, but are feeling the 1 cm instead. I recently went from a 7 degree 135mm to a zero deg. 150mm and it is a huge difference. I definitely felt like I was on the rack at first. I moved my saddle forward a quarter inch and now love the new position. Try it out for a few rides before switching. Also, do you have any room to switch headset spacers around?

Drew

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...Thanks for the reply. I aleady have 3 spacers and the bar is just about level with the saddle . An attempt to take out a spacer would drop me down thus re- kindling by back pain. I do have some room to go aft on the saddle though. Currently I am about 2mm aprox ahead of the peddle spindles and ideally I prefer to be about a cm behind. This is a new bike as of 2 months ago and I am trying to stretch...if you will, into it's steep angles ( it's an Anthem). Coming off riding and racing a trail bike last year, getting use this full on race bike is a challenge. I really enjoy riding 24.6 lbs bike, but can I ever expect to be fully comfortable? I guess I got to spoiled on the 5" slack angle trail bike.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
angles dont matter that much

Your new ride is steeper than the old which will bring you forward relative to the bb. If your tt length is the same you will have more weight and overall length up front too. To duplicate your previous saddle position move your seat back. You may want to change stem length after this in order to get your reach correct. Head angle is going to have very little to no effect on your fit. The primary concern for fit is cockpit length (stem and tt length) measured from where you finally set your saddle on the post. FYI I run my saddle back so far that my knee is about 7 cm behind the pedal spindle, but then I'm also 6'5". This position has felt right for me for a long time, and I am just starting to play around with bringing my saddle forward.

Drew

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Drew, thanks for the reply. I just got back from a 2 hour ride with lots of up and technical. From the start my shoulders and neck were jammed up.My wife said it was obvious that I was straining my neck to see. Anyway, so I stopped and put my saddle aft about 3 mm and that seemed to be the answer. No more neck strain. Maybe I was to bunched up in the cockpit this whole time. Only future rides will tell :thumbsup:

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
rocdog said:
Hey all. Just wondering before I blow $70.00 if a one degree difference in stem length can be felt by the average rider? I dropped from a 100mm w 6 degree rise stem (low back issues) to a 90mm w 5 degree which I had in the garage. Now my back issues are gone, but now the base of my neck is getting all jacked up after my rides. So, I am wondering if staying at 90 but going back to a 6 degree rise will solve this or would I just be wasting cash? Help??? Thanks.
The latest MBA issue (February, I believe) just did an article/test on stem length. They used a bunch of different stem lengths on the same bike and wrote about how each stem length had an effect on handling.

You can - or should be able to - use spacers, high riser bars/low riser bars/flat bars as well as the stem to dial in the best fit.

BB

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
rocdog said:
So, I am wondering if staying at 90 but going back to a 6 degree rise will solve this or would I just be wasting cash? Help??? Thanks.
I saw that you made a seat adjustment and got some relief. I just wanted to post this picture I found on Lee McCormack's website when I was searching around for info on stem adjustments. The article is about "trail" bikes, not necesarily XC racing, but I found the illustration interesting. It seems that if stem length is reduced additional rise must be introduced, either with a steeper stem angle or higher rise bar. I'm gonna be experimenting with this on my XC HT. I'm not exactly sure how accurate it is, it's just some food for thought.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.