Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
BGR / MCM #311
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...my XCish bike is my Cove Stiffee FR and I have an 05 Coiler for my FS/FR/DH/NS tendencies. I was having trouble with balance (felt too easy to endo) and over steering everything on the Cove...so I swapped out the 100mm stem with a 90mm stem I had on the Coiler. The oversteer and balance immediately improved...I had noticed I was more out over the front axle on the 100mm...and now, when I'm in a good neutral riding position, the bars and front axle line up perfectly when I look down. Decent riding position I suppose. Now..the 90mm stem has found a new home on the Cove and the Coiler is stemless!!! I'm just looking for suggestions on stem length to replace the one that was swapped off the Coiler.

Should I go with a little shorter stem like a 70mm? Or just order another 90mm?? I never really had any handling issues with the Coiler, but since I run it more aggressively, would a shorter stem be better to get me over the back of the bike??

thanks...

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
fireboy said:
OK...my XCish bike is my Cove Stiffee FR and I have an 05 Coiler for my FS/FR/DH/NS tendencies. I was having trouble with balance (felt too easy to endo) and over steering everything on the Cove...so I swapped out the 100mm stem with a 90mm stem I had on the Coiler. The oversteer and balance immediately improved...I had noticed I was more out over the front axle on the 100mm...and now, when I'm in a good neutral riding position, the bars and front axle line up perfectly when I look down. Decent riding position I suppose. Now..the 90mm stem has found a new home on the Cove and the Coiler is stemless!!! I'm just looking for suggestions on stem length to replace the one that was swapped off the Coiler.

Should I go with a little shorter stem like a 70mm? Or just order another 90mm?? I never really had any handling issues with the Coiler, but since I run it more aggressively, would a shorter stem be better to get me over the back of the bike??

thanks...
Shorter stem will put you further back and more upright. This will give you more control. But if you don't have any issues with the 90mm, it might be a good idea to just go with something that you're used to.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Here's what I did.

I bought several stems at once for cheap from Jenson or Pricepoint (I'm not talking Thomson or Race Face here). Same brand with same angle at differing lengths. I did a quick 'on bike' test with each to get a feeling for which fit me better and returned the rest. I ended up with a 70 and ride with that length on both bikes.

If I were you, I'd test the 90 you currently have and pick up a 60, 70 and an 80 just to see how those feel and return the ones you don't want. Just a thought as it's an easy way to compare multiple stems really quick and easy.

Cheers,
EBX

·
Registered
473 Posts
My '04 Coiler came with a 70mm stem. I tried a 50 and a 90 i had on hand, but I ended up replacing it with one with the exact same measurements, just stronger. Any shorter and the front end wandered too much on climbs, and any longer made it feel weird to jump. 70 worked for all conditions so I went with that.

·
BGR / MCM #311
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
norton05 said:
My '04 Coiler came with a 70mm stem. I tried a 50 and a 90 i had on hand, but I ended up replacing it with one with the exact same measurements, just stronger. Any shorter and the front end wandered too much on climbs, and any longer made it feel weird to jump. 70 worked for all conditions so I went with that.
If you don't mind me asking...

What size Coiler was it? How tall are you and what's your inseam? If you're close to my measurements it would be a good place to start..

thanx

·
Registered
473 Posts
sure, I'm 5'10", inseam I usually wear a 32. The bike is a size 17. The standover is pretty bad, I would have liked to try out a 16 but no luck. Aside from standover the fit is perfect. I wouldn't mind a 50mm stem for DH, but even with the stock stem it's really hard for me to hold a straight line uphill. If it was shorter I don't know if I could climb singletrack at all!

I did put on a set of Monkeybars, they are wider and have a lot more rise than the stock bars, this may have had something to do with my climbing problems and choice of stem lengths, just so you know.

fireboy said:
If you don't mind me asking...

What size Coiler was it? How tall are you and what's your inseam? If you're close to my measurements it would be a good place to start..

thanx

·
BGR / MCM #311
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
norton05 said:
sure, I'm 5'10", inseam I usually wear a 32. The bike is a size 17. The standover is pretty bad, I would have liked to try out a 16 but no luck. Aside from standover the fit is perfect. I wouldn't mind a 50mm stem for DH, but even with the stock stem it's really hard for me to hold a straight line uphill. If it was shorter I don't know if I could climb singletrack at all!

I did put on a set of Monkeybars, they are wider and have a lot more rise than the stock bars, this may have had something to do with my climbing problems and choice of stem lengths, just so you know.
Should be close then....I'm 5'11" with the same inseam and same sized coiler as you. Mine came with a 95mm RaceFace stem for some reason. I swapped it with a 90mm Thomson that was on a Joker that I then sold. That Thomson is the one that now resides on my Cove..and I have a 100mm tommy sitting on the workbench....sheesh!! Anyway, I'm gonna head to the LBS with Coiler in tow on Monday and try a few different stem lengths before ordering what feels right. Thanks to your response, I'm starting off with a 70mm! I also measured the bar-saddle cockpit length on the Cove...I think a 70mm for the Coiler will keep both cockpits the exact length (the coiler's seattube is a bit more slack and over the back of the bike). Again...thanks for the info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.