Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 6' tall and I ride a Large Flux. I am an XC rider and do some light racing. Currently, I am running a 31.8 Thomson X4 with 120mm length and 0 degree rise. If you all out there were building a Flux for a 6' tall person, what would the default stem length and rise be?

I am thinking about trying a 100mm 6 degree X4, but I would first like some suggestions. Would there be much difference between my 120mm 0 degree and 100mm 6 degree in terms of feedback/performance?

Hawk

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
HBhawk said:
If you all out there were building a Flux for a 6' tall person, what would the default stem length and rise be?
6' here, ran a 105mm x 6 degree on my large Flux. 100mm +/- 10mm seems appropriate to me, so you're right on the money IMO. The rise of the stem should be immaterial if you compsensate with spacers and/or the rise of the bar (if you're using a riser) to achieve the desired front end height.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the X4 only come in 0 or 10 degree rise? I wasn't aware of a 6 degree version.

If you like how you feel on your current bike, why don't you figure out your hand position on your current bike and calculate what stem would be needed to give you that same hand position on the Flux?

Everybody likes a different riding position. Find what works for you and try to recreate it. FWIW, I'm 6'1" and I use a 100 mm, 10 degree X4.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm 6 foot as well but more legs than torso. My Flux has a 110mm 0 degree X4 and it fits me perfect. If you have a good shop near you, see if they have extra stems laying around you can try out different lengths and rises.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
id try a 110. dt suggests a stem 10mm shorter than normal for the flux. that said, i ran a standard length stem on mine due to the steepness of my terrain on the climbs and the more aggro feel on the fast twistys.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So now that I am running the 120 mm 0 degree X4 on top of the spacer stack (1" of spacers) rather than with 1/2" of spacers above the stem, my riding position is much improved. I am pretty comfortable with the 120mm, but I think I am going to buy a 100mm X4 and see if it improves the way that the bike goes over curbs, logs, etc. and rides downhill, without sacrificing the way it climbs.

I'll update after I have a chance to ride with a 100mm.

Hawk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.