Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sure it gets asked alot but I could'nt find the answer on the search.

What effect does changing your stem length have on your bikes handling! Im currently using an old stem of another bike and its about 110mm long. What would happen if I got a shorter one?

·
Registered
314 Posts
It will make the handling much faster

I had a 110 mm stem on my heckler. switched to 65 mm, and the difference is huge. the bike feels quicker, not as slugish (in hind-sight). it takes a few rides to get used to, but when you do, man, its great. I strongly recommend.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have the same question. I already have a twitchy bike (Giant Anthem) that I use for general trail riding. I actually want to get a longer stem coz I feel cramped in the cockpit with a 100mm stem, but I'm afraid that the bike will be more twitchy.....or is it the opposite?

John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brake Jack is right the shorter the stem the faster the steering and vice versa! A longer stem helps with hill climbing as more of your weight is over the front.

I think Im going to leave my set up as it is...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Personally, I just like longer stems with flat bars, period. You'll may soon hear the debate that if you feel crunched up your bike may be too short. This may or may not be true in all cases, I'm sure at times it is.

For me, I just like being a bit more stretched out over the wheel and not right on top of the frame's steering tube.

·
~I Ride In Circles ~
1,629 Posts
I just got a new 90mm stem and wider handle bar to make my cockpit more comfortable. I'm switchin from a 110mm and narrower bar. I'm excited to feel the difference. I've always felt like I'm leaning forward toooooo much. This should solve the problem.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
john85D said:
Hmm....so if say I change my stem to a longer one, my bike will be less twitchy?? This sounds like the solution to two of my problems (cockpit length and twitchyness of the frame).

John
You are correct.

My current frame is a bit too long for me, so I've gone from a 100 to a 90 to a 75. The cockpit now feels great, but the steering is too twitchy for my liking. I'm now in the market for a new frame.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I'm a gorrilla too. Titec zero deg 150mm. The front used to wash out cornering and lifted when climbing. Ity now sticks like glue. The old one was 135. I don't notice any differnce in the quickness of my steering.

Drew

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.