Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 60mm, 6 degree stem on my bike. In general, what changes (handling-wise) would I see by increasing or decreasing stem length and stem angle.

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
In general, Long and low stem length and height is good for XC riding. It promotes more aggressive climbing position, but can be sketchy on the descend because more weight to the front.

Short and high stems are great for descending as it allow you to more your weight more to the back as well as suits descending position better, but the front wheel tends to wanders on the climb.

I have short stems on both types of bikes XC and AM, and I like it. Now most of my bikes have 50-70mm stems.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Valid points. But everyone's build is different. You may have longer arms and shorter legs? Who knows. Get a proper bike fit and it'll do wonders :thumbsup: I still am amazed how so many people I see and meet have not gotten a bike fit......but spend $8,000 to $10,000 on their bike.

·
Banned
2,416 Posts
I don't know of any shops that sell 8k-10k bikes and not fit the bike to the buyer. At least not in my neck of the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk pro
^This.. On my recent build my LBS let me try different stems and saddles until I found what I liked best. I went through 3 stems/lengths and 2 saddles before I found what fit best.

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
^This.. On my recent build my LBS let me try different stems and saddles until I found what I liked best. I went through 3 stems/lengths and 2 saddles before I found what fit best.
I know I'd buy it if he said that he knows a guy or even 2 who owns unfitted 8k-10k bike. It just sounds better I guess. Serious case of SourGrapes:)

Sad to say he's in the same neck of the woods I'm in too. Shops around here are so competitive and can't wait to show off especially to special customers. You don't sell bike that price everyday even in Silicon Valley. No doubt you are not going to get a star treatment when buying an entry level HT but they will do it for you when request.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts