Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
rebmem rbtm
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have an uncut sterrer tube on my Marzocchi Xfly and i have my stem at the very bottom off the tube (only one spacer to make sure i have no rub on the headset). is that a good positon for jumping things? or is it preference? im lost here, my friend has his high and mine is low, wondering if there is a difference... sorry if this sounds confusing

·
rebmem rbtm
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i tried that and i got some massive rub and almost took off the letterig on the headset\spacer (whatever u want to call that cheap plastic seal)

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
I like my stem low on the steerer, this allows to cut off more steerer tube and lose weight, and also get a slightly lower position for more leverage. tell your buddy he is crazy... haha, j/k. it does basically come down to preference, but I think you will find that most run their stems super super low. actually, I should add, my stem is also an inverted BMX stem.

Also, your headset cap should be turning with the rest of the steerer and stem?? why is it rubbing?? was your stem rubbing the headtube, cuz it should not rub the headset cap, it should move in conjunction with it, all at the same time. and if your steerer tube really is uncut, depending on the length of your headtube, you would have like a good 5 inches sticking out of the top of your stem. It must have been cut when assembled in order not to be ridiculous. but, if you lower your stem, I would suggest cutting it more, but not too much, you risk losing resale or compatibility with other frames- I personally don't care and just chop away with a pipe cutter.

·
rebmem rbtm
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it sticks up over the stem about 2.5-3 inches and the rub thing, when i tighten down on the bolts the stem presses into the cap and doesnt allow it to move as freely as i would like. its a cheap aheadsetthough so im not expecting much

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
wow! you need to press your starnut down farther, and cut off about 2.5" of that. you're just asking to swallow your teeth.

and, sounds like you are dealing with a loose ball headset... so, if you tighten the preload (top cap screw) too much, it binds the bearings. Just tighten it (with your stem bolts loose) until there is no play, or movement when rocking it back and forth, but it still turns with ease, then tighten down your stem bolts pretty tight, and you should be good, no rub.
OR! am I completely wrong, and we going back in time and you have a threaded steerer, and a quill stem? no... doesn't sound like it by your explanation....

·
rebmem rbtm
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have a modern setup, itsa downhill stem (race face i think no logos) and kore lite bars. i ythink i need to get a headlock system though, my starnut keeps rising towards the top of my steerer tube and im always smashing it back in. (big no no i know)

·
Registered
170 Posts
quick question:

after lowering my stem on my steerer tube, i have over an inch of steerer tube sticking out (w/ spacers rearranged on top). i'm pretty new to biking, so i'm wondering, can i cut off about an inch off the top of the steerer tube and remove some spacers? will i have to remove the fork to do this? i have a pipecutting hacksaw at home in my garage, or should i use something else, since it might not be perfect if i do it myself? or how much would a LBS charge to do it?

thanks.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Use one of those pipe cutters you twist, or use a saw guide with a hacksaw so it will be straight. The LBS will charge about 10 bucks to cut it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
any place i can rent a pipe cutter from? i know autozone has a tool loan program for automotive tools, anything like that for this application?

·
h-town hucker
284 Posts
i make sure that i have an extra 3-4mm of the steerer tube above the stem so that when you tighten down the top cap, you dont bottom out the steerer tube.

i like my stem and bars raised just a little bit, or none at all.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
sandyP1 said:
i make sure that i have an extra 3-4mm of the steerer tube above the stem so that when you tighten down the top cap, you dont bottom out the steerer tube.

i like my stem and bars raised just a little bit, or none at all.
sorry, I'm not getting your description... maybe you mean 3-4mm of steerer tube BELOW the top edge of the stem... not 3-4mm above it. unless you use a larger spacer, say 7mm or so to cover the 3-4. or, you will bottom out the top-cap on the extra steerer tube and won't get any preload at all, resulting in a loose headset. ;)

·
h-town hucker
284 Posts
yeah... sorry. The top of the top spacer (or top of stem if no spacers are on top) will need to come up above the very top of the steerer tube by about 3 or 4 mm. That is so when you tighten down the top cap, it won't bottom out on the steerer tube.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts