Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently bought a SID World Cup and was wondering whether the Thomson Elite stem I currently have is compatible with the World Cup's carbon steerer, or if I need to switch to a two bolt style stem. Has anyone used a Thomson Elite with a carbon steerer?

Thanks!

·
Registered
410 Posts
I´m not sure about this one, But on a lot of carbon steerers (road forks) is a sticker that tells you that you can not use a stem with an internal wedge or a pinch bolt for mountaing the stem.
It pretty logical that a normal 2 bolt stem has a much bigger clamping surface for the carbon bar, so I would prefer something like that instead of a thomson elite stem!

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Do NOT use the internal wedge type stem on carbon steerers. If so, you can kiss it goodbye.

For the second poster, there are two types of Thomson stems. The internal clamp model with one bolt, and the current version that has the conventional clamp style with the external bolts that are on the rear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.