Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
What are the measurements of the stems you guys are running on your 575? I have been reading that most people like shorter stems on their 575 and I'm just not sure how short is short.

Thanks,
Anthony

·
I like Monkeys
886 Posts
I'm an oddball. I'm running a 100mm thomson, medium 07 575, 5'11". I like a little more XC setup than many. We have a lot of very steep technical climbs around here. The longer stem helps keep my weight forward in those situations. I can still shift my weight back for the downhills. But my next stem won't be a thomson, this one cracked in the faceplate and I've heard of others. It was fixed under warranty but I'll look elsewhere next time.

·
Registered
578 Posts
As mentioned it's all relative to your size etc... I'm 5'11 on med. frame, I went from a 100mm to 90mm and then 70mm. Feels just right with the 70mm for me, still climbs well and handles much better on the downs and techy stuff.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
If you intend to use a fork like the 5.5 or 6-inch 32 TALAS, you may want to use a 90-100mm stem to give you more advantage on the trailside. But if you wish to go with something bigger, like a 36 TALAS, you could use a shorter stem for better grip and confidence when jumping or going downhill. Stem angles and low or high rise handlebars are of you preference, so you probably already heard people telling you should test various lenghts to know what may suit you better. I run a 100mm 6degree RaceFace Deus stem on a 5.5 32 TALAS. Along the highrise Next handlebar it feels spot on for trail riding, and still confidence-inspiring enough to go downhill and over any rougher stuff.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.