Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just changed my 100mm stem to a 70mm on my Trance, and immediately loved the improvement in control especially for slow tricky decents. However..... I now find I can't really hammer down the power while standing! When I get off the seat and give the bike some stick in a high gear I feel really out of balance... as if my body is swaying either forwards or backwards, has any one else had anything similar, or can explain this??? I'm really not sure what to do - I love the sharper steering, but occasionally I like to leave the saddle and sprint.

Wonder if dropping my bar height would help (at the moment it's exactly the same height as my saddle). :confused:

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Usually when you alter something like that, it will improve one thing and mess up some other aspect. A 90mm to 120mm stem is generally right in the 'decent compromise' zone. If you leave that zone, you are going to get an adjustment that will sacrifice one part of the handling equation to favor another.

·
Registered
804 Posts
It's not just the stem length that can cause differences. The stem rise will also play into the equation. You might try your LBS and see if they have a few stems to try out. See which one feels best and buy one of that size. If your shop won't do that, then call around for one that will. Sometimes trial and error is the only way to find what's right for you. Good luck.
J

·
Registered
104 Posts
jeremyp111 said:
It's not just the stem length that can cause differences. The stem rise will also play into the equation. You might try your LBS and see if they have a few stems to try out. See which one feels best and buy one of that size. If your shop won't do that, then call around for one that will. Sometimes trial and error is the only way to find what's right for you. Good luck.
J
How would a 70 mm, no rise stem compare to a 90 mm 10 degree rise stem? I'd imagine the higher degree rise, the stem length is relatively shortened. Then, throw in handle bar rise and sweep....Is there any way to figure out what equals what?
Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now i'm happy!!

:thumbsup: I've fitted my mates 80mm stem and dropped it down the steerer so that one of the spaces is above it, and it's much better! steering is still sharp and I can stand up with out feeling unsteady.

It's suprising how only 10mm longer and about 10mm down can make such a difference in stability .

The reckon problem must have been that my body was too upright and not stretched out enough when i was standing, (hence feeling "top heavy" as though i was going to tip forwards.

Anyway - time to buy a new 80mm stem! quite like the raceface ones, hmm....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.