Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All! Need your advice regarding a suitable stem and bar for my Medium Spot. I've got my eye on the Thomson X4, 90 mm length, 31.8 clamp in a 0 degree rise. Don't think the 10 degree rise is necessary due to my height and frame geometry? Any ideas about a bar to match? If going carbon, easton only makes the 31.8 in a low rise 3/4". What do ya think about the low rise with the 0 degree rise stem? Newbie I quess when it comes to the numbers. Thanks!

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
whipcord said:
Hey All! Need your advice regarding a suitable stem and bar for my Medium Spot. I've got my eye on the Thomson X4, 90 mm length, 31.8 clamp in a 0 degree rise. Don't think the 10 degree rise is necessary due to my height and frame geometry? Any ideas about a bar to match? If going carbon, easton only makes the 31.8 in a low rise 3/4". What do ya think about the low rise with the 0 degree rise stem? Newbie I quess when it comes to the numbers. Thanks!
I've always liked the Answer ProTaper Bars

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I have just taken off the 31.8 CNT xc off mine, Med with a 90mm X4 as the bar has constant rise that is a pain on the outer wrist, Swapped for the Answer Pro Taper, a little more beef but the angles are better, For me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys! A lot of people seem to complain of strength & flex issues with the Answer Pro Taper over the components forum? Any experience with these problems? Perhaps it's different with the 31.8?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
whipcord said:
Thanks for the replys! A lot of people seem to complain of strength & flex issues with the Answer Pro Taper over the components forum? Any experience with these problems? Perhaps it's different with the 31.8?
I'm running the Thomson 90x0 X4 in 31.8 with a Race Face Next Carbon bars. RF says the bars are 25" wide but they measure at 26. I love the combo. I recently switched from the same stem in 110 down to 90 and the 90 has really improved the ride. BTW, I've tried the ProTaper in 25.4mm and its a wet noodle, IMO. The RF bar is very stiff and has a Ti mesh screen to reinforce the clamp area.

EDIT: As for the wet noodle comment I do weigh 210lbs so take that into account. I have not tried a ProTaper in 31.8.

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Another vote for the RF Next Carbon bar, if they make it OS. Really light, great ergonomics, and the carbon just soaks up the vibrations. The only downside is the risk of having to swap out bars if you take a fall and ding the carbon. RF and Azonic are making some nice aluminum bars if you want metal to avoid that problem. (I went through one Azonic CF1 carbon bar this summer due to an endo, but Azonic replaced it at cost for me - good CS there).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks All! I'll be going with the Thomson X4, 90mm, 0 degree rise for sure! The bar seems to be a toss up between the Answer Por Carbon 31.8 & the RF Next High Rise. I'm also 190lb. so I hope flex is not an issue with the Answer 31.8.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts