Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To begin with, I own the 09 trance x3 w/ the fox suspension. I just put on the easton monkeylite carbon hi rise bars, thomson 100mm 10g rise stem, and matching seatpost.

This is what the guy at the lbs ordered for me when i told him my goal. My only concern is that when installed to proper height ive already moved the stem below all the spacers. Leaving me with 3 spacers about the stem.

I know i can cut off the remaining tube, but is this really a smart idea? should i just try to exchange it for a 5degree rise stem or 0 degree? Im not familiar with cutting the post and the lbs said they would do it for me.

I just wanted to know yoru opinions on the situation..is this something a lot of you have done? or do you compensate by getting a no rise stem to match the hi rise bars? thanks for any input..

also, the bike feels great now...just wondering if its smart to chop the extra metal on the fork post..

·
Registered
209 Posts
drz400sm said:
To begin with, I own the 09 trance x3 w/ the fox suspension. I just put on the easton monkeylite carbon hi rise bars, thomson 100mm 10g rise stem, and matching seatpost.

This is what the guy at the lbs ordered for me when i told him my goal. My only concern is that when installed to proper height ive already moved the stem below all the spacers. Leaving me with 3 spacers about the stem.

I know i can cut off the remaining tube, but is this really a smart idea? should i just try to exchange it for a 5degree rise stem or 0 degree? Im not familiar with cutting the post and the lbs said they would do it for me.

I just wanted to know yoru opinions on the situation..is this something a lot of you have done? or do you compensate by getting a no rise stem to match the hi rise bars? thanks for any input..

also, the bike feels great now...just wondering if its smart to chop the extra metal on the fork post..
First I'll ask the obvious, did you try turning the stem over to get lower? Second, most bikes come with plenty of steer tube.... cutting it is not a problem as long as you don't go so low that you degrade the intergrity of the stem clamping and holding the steer tube.

I cut about 1/2 inch off my trance which is about 1 spacer. NBD, get a hack saw and something to guide it straight (I used an old stem). There are two more spacers below the stem. I would flip the stem and try some lower rise or flat bars.

·
Registered
209 Posts
drz400sm said:
so flipping the stem wont affect its handling or feel? its a 10 degree rise is that too much of a rise to flip? sorry for my lack of knowledge
Flipping the stem is common. Most of the pro's x-country riders do this like Absalon and Sauser. It won't feel any different than taking out spacers or putting on a stem with a smaller rise.

Many stems put decals like these ritchey:

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?...in+4-Axis&vendorCode=RITCHEY&major=2&minor=22

Then it looks right both directions.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nm_gunslinger said:
Flipping the stem is common. Most of the pro's x-country riders do this like Absalon and Sauser. It won't feel any different than taking out spacers or putting on a stem with a smaller rise.
Thanks for your input. Ill probably go ahead and do that instead of cutting the fork so much. I was thinking it would effect the ride of the bike by doing this.

A lot of great info on this site. Thanks everyone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.