Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last 2 items I have to buy for my dream bike. What do I want? I'm running a riser bar now and like it.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
You will find the Syntace F99 the resounding Stem preference for the forum. There is not such the consensus on bars. If you go F99 you will need a 25.4 bar. I'd go Easton EC90 Monkeylite SL if you want a riser (I prefer flat).

·
Registered
774 Posts
Jersey said:
you want a Syntace F99 stem (99g @ 105mm) with an Easton monkeylite SL bar (135g)

stem can be had at http://www.light-bikes.com
The Syntace Duraflite carbon 580mm with a 9 degree sweep 118 grams I just sold one but for a flat bar the 9 degree sweep is nice compared to 3 or 6 degrees most flat bars

I run the ritchey 4 axis 110mm w/ ti bolts 108 grams and a heavy lowrizer 31.8mm at 183 grams cut down to 610mm/24" the syntace vector riser is a little lighter @ 171 g

or this set up >>>

the easton monkey lite SL 135 grams w / the F99 syntace 105mm w/ ti 96 g = 231 grams !!!

·
Registered
495 Posts
I've got the Ritchey 4-Axis with the new 635mm wide 31.8mm version of the Easton Monkeylite SL.

It is a dope setup, I highly recommend it.

The Syntace F99 stem is lighter, but I don't like the sizing of them. Rather than 90mm, 100mm, 110mm, 120mm the F99 comes in 90, 105, 120mm. I'm picky about fit, and I need a 110, not a 105.

Additionally, the F99 is not recommended for bars over 610mm wide, which to me is a drag.

With the 4-axis, you get penalized a few grams compared to the F99, but no width limitation, more available lengths, and the stiffer 31.8mm bar clamp diameter. Hot!

But, y'know, if you ride a 90mm or 120mm stem, and like narrower bars, the F99 is a hot setup too.

My $.02

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got an Easton EC 90 flat that I took off my NRS and a Monkeylite that I put on so I could just swap and buy a stem. It looks like all the new stuff is 31.8. Is that a solution to something that wasn't a problem?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
cogswell23 said:
But, y'know, if you ride a 90mm or 120mm stem, and like narrower bars, the F99 is a hot setup too.

My $.02
What's wrong with the 105? I've got 3 in that length. Can't hardly tell the difference between them and a 110 and on one bike it's more appropriate.

·
Registered
495 Posts
4212darren said:
I've got an Easton EC 90 flat that I took off my NRS and a Monkeylite that I put on so I could just swap and buy a stem. It looks like all the new stuff is 31.8. Is that a solution to something that wasn't a problem?
There are still many, many options for 25.4mm clamp diameters.

Is it a solution to something that wasn't really a problem? Well, yes and no. Just like a fat-tubed aluminum frame, the wider diameter makes for a stiffer bar/stem/rider interface. That's a good thing, but it does sort of presuppose that the 25.4mm standard wasn't stiff enough. That's a harder case to make.

The thing that I really appreciate about the 31.8mm standard, is that both road and mountain are converging on it. It opens up a whole world of options for experimentation--I'm thinking about checking out the new 100g Deda road stem on my XC rig, for example. More than anything, having a shared standard streamlines, in a positive way, the entire process from manufacturer to consumer.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Asahi said:
What's wrong with the 105? I've got 3 in that length. Can't hardly tell the difference between them and a 110 and on one bike it's more appropriate.
Nothing's "wrong" with the 105mm, unless its not the right size for you. You say that on one of your bikes it's more appropriate, and that on the others you can't tell much of a difference.

That's cool, but if it's only more appropriate on one of your bikes, maybe you should eat a few grams and get 110's for the others. Or not, whatever you want. :yawn:

All I'm saying is that if you *should* be on a 100mm or 110mm stem, why compromise with a 105mm?

Conversely, if you *should* be on a 90mm or 120mm, or a 105mm for that matter, then Syntace has you covered and could be worth considering. Of course, that's also assuming you want a narrow bar.;)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Stem: Extralite - 94g / Syntace w/ ti kit - 94g / Ritchey WCS w/ ti bolts - 103g
Bars: Easton Monkeylite SL (CNT) - 130g. There is no better bar. Go to ebay.

There was nothing wrong with 25.4 bars. Manufacturers need a new venue for generating more revenue so they create "the need" for a new product... 31.8 bar and stem. Perhaps a better choice for Urban/ Street riding.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.