Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
eastman
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents, I’m looking for a new stem and bar. Please let me know if you have any recommendations. This is for XC riding. Seems like I’m seeing more flat bars and less risers. Any reason for this?

Thanks!

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
eastman said:
Gents, I'm looking for a new stem and bar. Please let me know if you have any recommendations. This is for XC riding. Seems like I'm seeing more flat bars and less risers. Any reason for this?

Thanks!
Flat bars made a comeback on the DH bikes (lowest possible center of gravity when you hold the bars low and you can tuck in lower) and on the 29ers, particularly for short people and/or long travel 29ers. The bigger wheel forces everything up so removing the rise out of a bar helps bring the grips to the saddle level or below.

_MK

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
On SSINGA's suggestion of the Thomson, I've recently became a big fan of the Sunline stems. Very stiff, significantly lighter than Thomson and a tad cheaper.

_MK

·
eastman
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
setup

SSINGA said:
Bike? Current setup? Budget?

Hard to go wrong with a Thomson stem regardless of the above info.
I have a Turner o2, ride mosty XC. Thompson stem, 110, with a 15 degree rise (Ugly). Flat Easton Bar. Since I'm not buying a new frame, I'm pretty open on budget.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
eastman said:
I have a Turner o2, ride mosty XC. Thompson stem, 110, with a 15 degree rise (Ugly). Flat Easton Bar. Since I'm not buying a new frame, I'm pretty open on budget.
I'd say get a shorter stem, zero rise and a OS riser bar.

_MK

·
It's carbon dontcha know.
4,486 Posts
MK_ said:
On SSINGA's suggestion of the Thomson, I've recently became a big fan of the Sunline stems. Very stiff, significantly lighter than Thomson and a tad cheaper.

_MK
That's what I put on my latest build a couple of months ago, bargain price too if you get one from Chainlove or DeptofGoods.

·
Registered
763 Posts
MK_ said:
I'd say get a shorter stem, zero rise and a OS riser bar.

_MK
Spectacular e-bike fit recommendation based on all the dimensions that have been provided (not just at _MK, at thread in general).

OP, go with what fits. My HT has a -6* 110mm stem slammed on the headtube with a flat bar. My singlespeed has an identical setup. My Sultan has a 0* 80mm with a low riser. My road bike has a +16* 100mm stem with a pile of spacers under it. Doesn't look Pro at all but it fits.

Go with what fits, not what looks cool if you actually ride. Otherwise you want a 50mm stem with 750 flat bars to fit in with the parking lot crowd.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
skunkty14 said:
Spectacular e-bike fit recommendation
Thanks. Zero rise + riser = 15deg rise stem plus flat bar.
Shorter stem, because, that's just better.

_MK

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Why all the hate Skunk? So, if you have wide bars and a short stem you are now a higher level poseur than just the garden variety Turner poseur?

Great!

·
Registered
763 Posts
SSINGA said:
Why all the hate Skunk? So, if you have wide bars and a short stem you are now a higher level poseur than just the garden variety Turner poseur?
Meh, internet tongue-in-check fail on my part I guess. No worse than garden variety Homer, just one of several types of garden variety.

Carry on....:thumbsup:

·
eastman
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
name says it all...Skunks Stink!

skunkty14 said:
Meh, internet tongue-in-check fail on my part I guess. No worse than garden variety Homer, just one of several types of garden variety.

Carry on....:thumbsup:
Just more garden variety Homer Humer!

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
What, exactly is the baseline level of poseur for a Homer?

Eagerly awaiting Jaybo's response on this one!

OP, if your current fit fits you (bwahahahahah!) I'd go with a flatter stem and a low rise xc bar, just because, well, it looks better.

NOT because risers tend to be a bit easier on the wrists. Screw that. It's the look that needs worrying about.

·
Official Member
314 Posts
eastman said:
Maybe go cheap at first, and try a few different setups until it feels right. If your frame is somewhat of a decent fit, most likely you end up at 80-100mm stem length for XC, and as short as 50mm for core shredding.

My two default stems are Thomson and Sunline. Default bars are 710mm FSA Gravity Light 25mm rise, or Easton Havoc low rise.

Everyone is different though...

·
nocturnal oblivion
2,331 Posts
Don't be afraid to try even a 70mm 0*, you may prefer a 90mm 0*. Use your current bar and go from there. It'll be a drastic change so give it a few rides to adjust yourself.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
This bar is cheap and light enough: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=4032

The specs/pic listed are partially wrong as it is actually all black with white lettering, 31.8 OS weighs roughly 250g.

I like riser bars because I can keep the GPS on the stem and flip the bike over without it hitting the ground.

Thomson stems are nice and made in the USA. Treefort bike has Thomson stems for $72.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.