Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
At one time I thought about getting one., but decided they weren't for me or my Pugs. They seem to add extra complexity and maintenance. From what I understood oil can leak from the unit under certain conditions, or when the seals go bad.

I would pass, and focus on other things that will make your Pugs go better. i.e. bb, bar, tires, cranks, saddle, etc. I did...

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
A steering damper helps to make up for deficiencies in the bike's handling.

In what circumstances are you having problems with the Pug's handling?

(I don't have any problem with mine, but riding styles vary, and you may be going much faster than me through technical terrain.)

Edit: just read the Hopey thread. Most of the improvements quoted could be fixed by bike setup. I find the the best fix for flop is steepening the head angle - to do that on a standard Pug would need a shorter fork + a different offset to compensate the trail figure. I can do this because I have a homemade fork that is adjustable, but if anyone is having trouble with a Pug in technical terrain it may be worth looking at the front fork. A fork could be modified for less than the cost of a damper and has the advantage of no moving parts to wear out.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
New to the scene is the Cane creek AngleSet...seems like a good way to customize a bike's ride or to set up for aggressive summer / passive winter riding. There is a link to a review on the sidebar ----->

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Velo,

I'm setting it up as a tourer towing a fat tyred BOB trailer. The front fork, which'll be my SC32 will have 10Kg of ballast, in the form of water, to balance out the load of the trailer.

I think a damper would help in this situation.

Al

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.