Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rock Shox steerer tube replacements?

Can they be replaced on forks?

Specifically Rock Shox? I have a '06 Reba SL that is working just fine, but the steer tube is too short for my current frames. I'd like a new steer tube to cute for my new frames. I assume if this can be done that it's not something I can do myself (as it requires a press?)...but can my LBS do it or can they delegate with Rock Shox to do it?

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
not sure on RS forks... on Marzocchi they can press a new steerer ONCE in the life of the fork (they keep track through serial number). But on RS and Fox i think you need the complete crown assembly (including stanchions)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
crisillo said:
not sure on RS forks... on Marzocchi they can press a new steerer ONCE in the life of the fork (they keep track through serial number). But on RS and Fox i think you need the complete crown assembly (including stanchions)
But that is something a LBS could deal with SRAM to get replaced? Or would that start running into cost issues where I'd be better off looking for someone who wants a REBA with a 175mm steer tube and just buy another.

My SID race is my primary fork, but I love my Reba SL....I was just seeing if I could maybe salvage it somehow.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Okay, first off...

no you cannot replace the steerer tube only on Rock Shox forks. The only manufacturer that will press out an old tube and press a new one into the crown is Marzocchi, and they will only do it ONCE in the life of any Zocch fork.

If you are wanting to salvage your Reba you will need to PURCHASE the entire crown/steerer/stanchion assembly. As for "dealing" with Rock Shox, if by that you mean that the LBS is going to be able to get the assembly for you for free or for some low price, in a word, NO! Rock Shox doesn't work like that, no company that is in business to make money does. If by "dealing" with Rock Shox you mean the LBS will have to order the part, then YES. Rock Shox doesn't sell directly to the public, so the LBS will have to order the part for you. You can look up the part number yourself on the RS website as they do have spare parts lists there. But the LBS/Rock Shox dealer will have to order it for you. And it WILL cost you. I haven't priced them myself, but a very conservative estimate would be in the $150 to $200 range. With what an 07 Reba SL is going for, $490 to $500, it would be worth it to keep your 06 and get the new assembly.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Squash said:
no you cannot replace the steerer tube only on Rock Shox forks. The only manufacturer that will press out an old tube and press a new one into the crown is Marzocchi, and they will only do it ONCE in the life of any Zocch fork.

If you are wanting to salvage your Reba you will need to PURCHASE the entire crown/steerer/stanchion assembly. As for "dealing" with Rock Shox, if by that you mean that the LBS is going to be able to get the assembly for you for free or for some low price, in a word, NO! Rock Shox doesn't work like that, no company that is in business to make money does. If by "dealing" with Rock Shox you mean the LBS will have to order the part, then YES. Rock Shox doesn't sell directly to the public, so the LBS will have to order the part for you. You can look up the part number yourself on the RS website as they do have spare parts lists there. But the LBS/Rock Shox dealer will have to order it for you. And it WILL cost you. I haven't priced them myself, but a very conservative estimate would be in the $150 to $200 range. With what an 07 Reba SL is going for, $490 to $500, it would be worth it to keep your 06 and get the new assembly.

Good Dirt
I "love" your "tone" in this "helpful" reply. Why did you assume that I was hoping for something for free? I never implied that. By "dealing" with RS I was referencing that I knew they wouldn't sell direct to me and that getting spares from them via a LBS is a somewhat painful experience.

You should have just left your reply as the first line as that is what answered my question.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Spend 5 minutes to put together a post looking for someone that is buying a new Reba, or a used one that the steerer will have to be cut for their frame. Offer up the length of your steerer. See if their headtube is compatible, and then offer them some cash to trade with you. If it was me, and you were asking me to do this, I'd do it for $25 plus the shipping charges. This is assuming of course that your steerer assembly/crown/stantions are in good condition.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BlownCivic said:
Spend 5 minutes to put together a post looking for someone that is buying a new Reba, or a used one that the steerer will have to be cut for their frame. Offer up the length of your steerer. See if their headtube is compatible, and then offer them some cash to trade with you. If it was me, and you were asking me to do this, I'd do it for $25 plus the shipping charges. This is assuming of course that your steerer assembly/crown/stantions are in good condition.
Ya, after a little digging and price quotes with my LBS today I think the Reba is headed to ebay over the weekend. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I replaced mine with a steerer from aliexpress, here is a video of replacing it,, I used a lite amount of cutting oil for lubrication rockshocks top tube replacement, easy You can use a large socket instead of the jig I made up, I removed the steerer by cutting verticle relief cuts with a saber saw with the blade inserted into the tube from the bottom then pushed it out.

·
Registered
10,084 Posts
I replaced mine with a steerer from aliexpress, here is a video of replacing it,, I used a lite amount of cutting oil for lubrication rockshocks top tube replacement, easy You can use a large socket instead of the jig I made up, I removed the steerer by cutting verticle relief cuts with a saber saw with the blade inserted into the tube from the bottom then pushed it out.
Excellent job resurrecting a thread that was dead for a decade and a half!

Nice job on your fork as well.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
This sounds interesting and it's worth a new thread for the topic.

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Try keeping the camera still on the object your filming. What's with all that flipping and flopping of the video?

·
Registered
12,210 Posts
Holy necro Batman!

FWIW, I and a number of friends have had steerer tubes replaced by local machine shops in the past.
Was quick and fairly cheap, well under $100US, thought that was a number of years back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Try keeping the camera still on the object your filming. What's with all that flipping and flopping of the video?
Ouch haha, Job was the focus, pulling my phone out mid-job and recording one-handed for the team was an afterthought. Open with Huawia Ai movie editor upload to youtube, post to the threads I took info from, and or had misleading information. I hope this helps someone...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts