Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Professional Crastinator
6,546 Posts
If you haven't got your answer yet...

You need to stack up all your stuff (you know, measure twice), then cut.

Put your whole bike together, put in your headset, install the fork, stack on all your handlebar stem spacers, stem, maybe more spacers, and the top cap - make sure you have enough spacers in there to make adjustments if you ever get a different stem, or rise bars, or whatever - 25-30mm spacers might be a little generous, but you can cut more later (you can't cut less later).

You should cut the steerer about 3mm shorter than all your stacked up stuff. Or sometimes the handlebar stem mfr. will recommend how much minimum clamp area is required within the stem (if there are no spacers above your stem, which is probably not recommended).

Hope that helps.

-F

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi fleas,
thanks for the help. think i should have worded my question differently. kinda was looking for a starting point on the height of the stem. on my fs 26" bike am running 30mm spacers under the stem. what stem height is generally reccommended for a hardtail 29er? are people using 25-30mm below the stem?
thanks

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
What you need to figure out is the amount of drop from the saddle to the bars on your current bike - how far above or below the saddle is in relation to the h-bar. Try to get the same amount of drop on your new frame - assuming the bikes are in a similar 'class'(xc,am). That should probably be comfortable for starters, then go from there. I tend to run my stems slammed on my 29ers - IE, no spacers below the stem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.