Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some corrosion on my steerer tube, its a 2012 reba rl. my headtube seems to collect water and it sits in there and rusts the race and bearing. but not sure why theres some spots up the tube in the second photo. I greased part of my steerer tube with kendall super blu high temp grease, I don't know if it had some kind of chemical reaction. I've known about this problem for awhile but can't remember if I had grease on it originally or after I discovered the problem I put grease on it. it would have been kendall super blu high temp auto grease. I have bicycle grease now so debating if I should leave it dry or put that on.

the corrosion near the crown race I scratched away and its maybe a mm deep at most. i dont know what I should do. paint it, tape it? I don't want it to get deeper. also, should I remove my conversion crown race to maybe clean under it, or no?

2014-04-20 23.07.51.jpg

2014-04-20 23.08.21.jpg

·
And I'm out.
506 Posts
I've seen a bit of this on some of the older rebas and SIDs that roll in here but most are on bikes that get ridden during the winter, late fall and early spring. Most have come in with slight corrosion but nothing as bad as what I can see in the photos. I think I would clean the Kendall off and use bike specific grease because, as you mention, there may be a chemical reaction with the aluminum steerer.... I would also remove and inspect closely under that Crown race adaptor for more corrosion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts