Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today i went and picked up a 05 boxxer ride,brand new from a guy at one of the local shops.as of now i think ill be able to make it fit on my sgs,but its gonna be close since the steer tube was cut.if it does not work out,i was wondering if there was any way i could get a new steer tube?if so would it be best to go through my dealer,or rockshox?

·
Registered
601 Posts
isnt it clamp-on?

if it is, you could call RS and ask if you could buy a new steerer, if not. then try ebay or something, but if you are REALLY desperate, get some tubing with the right ID and OD, but its gonna be alot weaker

·
pwn3rator
3,640 Posts
ANdRewLIu6294 said:
isnt it clamp-on?

if it is, you could call RS and ask if you could buy a new steerer, if not. then try ebay or something, but if you are REALLY desperate, get some tubing with the right ID and OD, but its gonna be alot weaker
the tubing idea won't work because steer tubes are tapered at the bottom. if you need a new one call rs cs...

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Most fork manufactures dont sell the steer tube seperate. Call RS, if they dont try one of the small manufacturs, Stratos, Avalanch, etc. they usually have stuff like that since they build there forks in house. You may have to have the steer tube machined to fit. I had to do this on a Manitou carbon fork awhile back & the didnt make parts for that one, 20.00 steer tube 15.00 machine shop. Other wise buy a complete lower t-clamp w/steer. Would'nt recomend shimming unless you weigh under 70lbs & its less that 1/4 inch.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the qucik replies.ill call RS monday.if not,i have access to and know a few good machinists.but like i said hopefully i wont need to take this route,once i get my new headset and what not ill see how it fits.

·
pwn3rator
3,640 Posts
dogonfr said:
Most fork manufactures dont sell the steer tube seperate. Call RS, if they dont try one of the small manufacturs, Stratos, Avalanch, etc. they usually have stuff like that since they build there forks in house. You may have to have the steer tube machined to fit. I had to do this on a Manitou carbon fork awhile back & the didnt make parts for that one, 20.00 steer tube 15.00 machine shop. Other wise buy a complete lower t-clamp w/steer. Would'nt recomend shimming unless you weigh under 70lbs & its less that 1/4 inch.
kinda spam: i have some old stratos triple clamps and steer tubes laying around at my shop if anyone wants to buy them. clamps are for s8, FR4, S5T, and LR1...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.