Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking at my jr t I realized a single crown with regular stem needs a longer steer tube to clamp onto than a dual crown with integrated stem. I have an 18 inch xts moto and am considering buying a used single crown with 8.5 inch steer tube. It looks like it would be questionable on length. Any experts know if it would work. Can the steer tube be less than all the way to the top of the stem?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
own154 said:
After looking at my jr t I realized a single crown with regular stem needs a longer steer tube to clamp onto than a dual crown with integrated stem. I have an 18 inch xts moto and am considering buying a used single crown with 8.5 inch steer tube. It looks like it would be questionable on length. Any experts know if it would work. Can the steer tube be less than all the way to the top of the stem?
kinda depends on the stem. If the steerer reaches the top bolt of the stem (top of the bolt) it's relatively safe... BUT seems like you're going for a long travel single crown, no? I'd want to get as much clamping force as possible for that.

You could go with a low stack headset (and/or low stack stem) to get you some more room.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.