Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
We have a couple threads on this----some folks are finding they want to be back a bit----others are finding seating top tube is too short---and others love it. Could just take some more time.

Next week I am doing a factory demo of a large ripley and we will see after a good long ride what I think----parking lot ride showed the top tube was short---measured and a full 3/4 inch shorter than current bike.

I am hoping a good long ride will show me this is ok---it think going to a setback post shows that the bike is not the correct one for you as you are basically going back to older geo---I also do not want to extend the stem more than 10mm for the same reason---good news is there are lots of good bikes but I hope I love the ripley

·
Registered
506 Posts
It might not be for him.

This steeper = automatically better, for everyone idea needs to die. Soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
^ This.

I already had my saddles all the way back before the steep STA revolution. Now shopping a setback head for my 9 Point 8. I'd much rather have to sit on the nose of the saddle for 50 pedal strokes per ride and have the remaining 4,950 strokes be comfortable, as compared to the reverse.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
OP, don't listen to the lemmings, make your own decision of what works for your style and knees. All these people who like these steep STAs, also I think only suffer the climbs to go down, doesn't matter how long it takes, just stick it in the 50t cog and a 28t ring and putz on up. They don't like pedaling on rolling or flat terrain or putting power down while they climb, it's just about the downs :skep:

As said OP, 9point8 offer either a normal or setback head, can buy both if you like and try to see which you prefer. I've been on one with a setback head now for 3 years, love it, could not ride the bikes I own without it and they are not even remotely steep STA compared to some of the shite that companies are releasing now. FYI the 9point8 will give you more setback than a Thomson setback would, if that helps any.

It might not be for him.

This steeper = automatically better, for everyone idea needs to die. Soon.

^ This.

I already ran my saddles all the way back before the steep STA revolution. Now shopping a setback head for my 9 Point 8. I'd much rather have to sit on the nose of the saddle for 50 pedal strokes per ride and have the remaining 4,950 strokes be comfortable, as compared to the reverse.

·
WTF is downcountry?
858 Posts
This sh!t is no different than the short stem and short stays craze. In 5 years it will revert to slacker seattubes and steeper HA's and the latest and greatest crowd will sing it's praises. I thought everyone had their saddle jammed forward with the new style geo cause the front centers were so loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong

My current bike has a steeper seattube and slacker HA than any other trail bike I've bought and I like it! I also moved the saddle back farther than usual to replicate my pedaling position like the OP and I sized down and run an 80 stem, still works great imagine that

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I might be wrong but that has been working for me the last 5 years with many different bikes.
My optimal saddle height is 30.25 in and with just about every bike 30 to 30.5 works great. Do you have knee pain? Upper body pain?
So with any new bike i use my magic #, it was established by a pro, i paid for real fit.
- B usually i set my saddle all the way to the front, due to my crazy long legs all frames are too long for me. But you can
A- use the eight that worked for you before.
B- move your saddle a little at a time than ride 2 hrs, when you are pain free that is your sweet spot.
C- set your cockpit to your liking.
No need to listen to generalities nor a la mode stuff.
Your body knows.
My bars are 620, that works for me, that s it
I often reverse my seat post so i never have a setback.
I like to climb and all my bikes are set for it, saddle, granny gear.
If you are not sure how to mesure the height look on you tube.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Hilarious how many threads there are on this topic.

Super slack HTA requires moving the rider weight forward, otherwise the front end will be too light, hence the steeper STA. But this means that your position relative to the BB is farther forward.

An argument I’ve heard is that it’s better for terrain where you’re either climbing (saddle in a better position for that) or descending (doesn’t matter where the saddle is b/c you’re standing up).

So if you’re more geared towards downhill/enduro, than you like slacker HTA and steeper STA.

But you definitely shouldn’t be moving your saddle back using an offset post. You shouldn’t buy a bike with a steep STA in the first place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
But you definitely shouldn't be moving your saddle back using an offset post. You shouldn't buy a bike with a steep STA in the first place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I disagree with this. Everyone has different body geometry and needs based on local trails vary wildly. There is nothing wrong with buying a bike like the new Ripley and installing a offset post if that's what works for you. Size down, offset post, and voila, a bike that fits. Offset posts do look naff though ;). Personally, I feel that STA's are finally arriving where I need them, regardless of the trail.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
I'd argue if you can run a set back seat post on a bike with progressive geo then your bike is probably (not definitely) too small. I'd recommend trying to run it as designed first with your seat high enough for a few weeks at least then if you still want a set back post go for it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you need setback to sit comfortably then your bike is too short, you should get a larger frame. BBs & knees are just BS. People should not spend any time on made up bikefit science and climate skepticism (yes global warming is happening). Put the seat so you sit comfortably. Good luck with your new bike.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.