Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 05 steelhead and im building it up and i noticed that the rear disc brake is not fitting right. i have a avid 7 series disc brake with a 160mm rotor. this brake was on my hardrock and work great, however when i set it up on the steelhead the disc does not go all the way into the caliper. as if it is now wanting a 180mm or 203mm rotor. has anyone else noticed this on there steelhead

·
Registered
24 Posts
The caliper mount on that frame does not allow the caliper position to move with the back wheel so it only works if you have the wheel in a certain position in the dropouts. Try slliding the wheel back in the dropouts and you should see that the caliper lines up at some point, if not there may be something else wrong. If your gearing does not allow for proper chain tension at that point I don't know what you do. Since I wanted to run the wheel as far forward as possible and don't like the idea of removing the caliper to get the wheel off I decided to stick with V's in the rear since I am running a front brake.

·
rollin
2,646 Posts
ferday said:
on my horizontal dropout bike, the disc almost never fits perfectly in the caliper, but it always fits well enough that it stops the rear tire. no big deal.
yah, i got a steelhead and know what you're talking about. if you run the rear wheel all the way forward, only half the pad contacts the rotor. the brake will still work, but you won't be utilizing full power, and it will unevenly wear the pad down. no big deal.
i actually thought the chainstay was too short all the way forward, but i'm used to my downhill bike. so, i just run the wheel about a 1/2 inch back...lengthening the chainstay and the disc rotor fits perfect in the caliper.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
yeah, this problem sucks... same thing on my frame... I want to run my axle all the way forward (even thought about die grinding them forward farther for even shorter chainstays!) but my caliper would not line up at all in this situation. I've thought of attempting to fabricate a custom Avid Mech. mount, but haven't tried yet....

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ya this is kind of what i thought it was but was hopeing it wasnt. i finished building the bike and just said f it im going to run the wheel all the way foward for the nice short chainstays. i must say im very happy with this frame so far.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.