Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading and searching the forums for a few days and have not found what I am looking for yet. It may not even exist but....does anyone know of a steel frame 29er that would be XC race worthy and under 2000? Looking for a complete bike set up...

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Vassago Bandersnatch... and a lot of searching for parts on ebay/pricepoint/jenson/other online retailers to build a relatively light steal race bike...

The bander frame weighs a little under 5lbs, depending on the size of frame... not superlight, but still lighter than a lot of the more expensive frames.

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
There are plenty of options. Race worthy is a broad, hard to define category. For instance, I raced my Karate Monkey a couple of weeks ago so in my book - it's race worthy and race proven. :)

Take a look at Ebay, classifieds, here etc. El Mariachi, Karate Monkey, Singular Swift, Haro Mary, Niner SIR and MCR, Fisher Ferrous, KHS, Jamis, Raleigh XXIX, Soma, Vassago all come to mind.

You don't mention SS or not, so I'll assume geared. Fisher, by far, rules the roost down here in South Florida for 29ers and racing, followed closely by Pivot 429s. Rigs and Jabberwocky's dominate the SS classes with a few hapless KM's or KHSs or Felt 9 solo's in the mix.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow. Sounds like there are alot of options. I will look into all of those. Thanks. So what parts are generally specific to 29ers? Is it just wheels, tires, fork, and frame? Did I miss anything?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I know you said steel frame...but

the Orbea Lanza Race is a great deal for the price and is race worthy out of the box.

http://www.orbea-usa.com/fly.aspx?layout=bikes&taxid=70&pid=415

elf28p said:
I've been reading and searching the forums for a few days and have not found what I am looking for yet. It may not even exist but....does anyone know of a steel frame 29er that would be XC race worthy and under 2000? Looking for a complete bike set up...

·
Registered
430 Posts
I went on Speedgoat.com and used the custom build option and built a Niner MCR 9 for 2200.00. I think if you play around with it you can build it on your budget. I would look around on the classified section here and at craigslist for a good used bike.

Brian

·
Jam Econo
4,213 Posts
I can attest to the race-worthiness of a Karate Monkey, and from my initial riding, my Singular Swift will serve me as well if not better.
If you are handy, you could buy one of these frames, and a complete bike from bikesdirect or performance, swap the parts to you steel frame, sell the alloy frame (or keep it as a back up), and be well under your target price.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Bummer should have glanced closer...

last year model was spec'd with Reba...guess sign of the times....

Mr. Doom said:
You can get a X-Caliber with a Fox for $1500,
Last years Rocky Mountain was nice steel and came with a Reba for $1200.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.